The Beginning Of Something Incredible?

“Hey, guys!” Calvin and I nearly jumped completely off of the couch, surprised by the sudden sound of my mom’s voice.

“Oh, Mom, hi,” I stammered, trying to slow my heart rate and return my breathing to a normal pace.

“Hi…” she said slowly, her eyes dancing between Calvin and myself. “I’m not interrupting anything…am I?” she asked, a wicked smile spreading over her lips.

“No, Mom. We were studying for a class. This is Calvin that I told you about, by the way. Calvin, this is my Mom,” I replied, remembering a few manners and introducing them. 

“It’s nice to meet you, Ms. Matthews,” Calvin said raising from his seat next to me on the couch, flashing her a heart melting smile and extending his hand.

His smile had a fairly obvious effect on my mother. “What a gentleman. It’s nice to meet you, too, Calvin,” she gushed.

“Please, call me Cal,” he said, flashing me a sideways glance. Oh, right, that.

“Of course,” my mom replied. “Have you guys had anything for dinner yet?” she asked, walking towards the kitchen, setting her things down on the end table along the way.

“I made a pizza,” I answered, fidgeting with my hands. She had to have the worst timing in the universe!

“Are you hungry, though? I stopped by the store on my way home. It wouldn’t be a problem to whip something up for you two real quick,” she said, putting random items in the cupboards.

“Well, I actually need to get going. It’s getting kinda late,” Calvin inserted. 

“Are you sure? It’s really no problem at all,” Mom asked, resting her hand on the cabinet knob she had just shut. 

“Yeah. Maybe another time?” he offered. Mom smiled and nodded, and went on about her business in silence. 

“I’ll walk you out,” I said quietly, watching Calvin gather his belongings from the kitchen. 

Within minutes, we were outside in the cool night air. I had been so wrapped up in Calvin earlier, I hadn’t even known that the sun had set. And from the looks of it, it had set quite some time ago.

“I had a good time this evening,” Calvin said, shutting the door on his car after he had tossed his bag onto the passenger’s seat.

“Me, too,” I said quietly. Staring at the toe of my sneaker, I felt like a junior high girl being asked to dance by a boy for the first time.

“So I’ll see you tomorrow?” he asked, bending down a little to try and catch my eye.

“Yeah,” I said looking up with a small smile. “I really enjoyed your company today,” I offered, not ready for him to leave just yet.

“Me, too,” he replied, walking around the front of his car.

Following him like almost like a lost little puppy, I feverishly racked my brain for something to ask him about, or talk about, or anything, just to keep him from leaving, if for only a few more minutes. Anything.

As if reading my thoughts, he paused with his hand on the car’s door handle, and then turned around to face me. “Jenna, I, uh, earlier…” Hesitation filling his voice, his eyes darted everywhere, looking at everything but me.

“Calvin…” I started without knowing what I would continue with. Thankfully, I didn’t have to.

“Jenna, I’m not going to lie. I like you, but… I just don’t know,” he said, looking a little uncomfortable.