Just Exactly What's Going On Around Here?

The next day, Monday, I was ready for school extra early. Waiting at the front door for Landon, it was ten minutes past when he usually picked me up, even if he was running late. Mom was off today.

“Mom, can I use the car to get to school? I don’t know where Landon is,” I asked. 

Looking up from the newspaper she was reading, she said, “Well, I’ll have to take you. I have some stuff I need to get done today, and it’s my only day off for over a week. We’re short on help lately,” she replied. With an internal groan, I reluctantly agreed. A senior in high school and getting dropped off by my mom still? Well, it beat the hell out of having to walk, I guess. 

Soon, we were pulling into the parking lot, and I was going to have to book it if I didn’t want to be late again. Mr. H wasn’t going to be very happy. 

The tardy bell rang just as I was shutting my locker, and I dropped my head as I made my way into the classroom shortly after. After the weekend I’d had, I wasn’t really in the mood for his reprimands. He said nothing as I entered, quietly shutting the door behind me. No one noticed my entrance; no one even looked up. That was strange. I’d gotten pretty used to getting all of the attention. 

Walking over to my usual desk, I nearly sat on the girl that was sitting there. 

“Oh, sorry,” I mouthed to her. Glancing around, I saw a desk to the far right in the front row that was still empty, and made my way over there. Still, no one glanced my way. The girl gave me a sympathetic smile, but that was it so far. This was beyond strange, to say the least. 

Taking my seat, I opened my history book and notebook, hearing not a single word Mr. H was saying. All I could think about was the lack of attention I received. Everyone always looked when someone opened the door in the middle of class. Not this time. No one even seemed to notice me as I made my way around the room. Like I wasn’t even here. With a sigh, I tuned into what Mr. H was droning on about, and realized that the Spanish-American war was a little more interesting than I’d given originally given it credit for. 

I drifted through the first part of the school day in the same fashion as my first hour class. My normal seats were already occupied, and not one single person talked to me, acknowledged me, not anything. It was really depressing. 

Just before lunch started, I made my way over to Landon’s locker. I had to talk to him. I needed to talk to him. It was this overwhelming desire to see him, touch him, feel his touch. I was really kicking myself for not going through with our ‘plans’ Friday night. 

Spotting him in the midst of all of our friends, which I guessed were just his friends now, I made my way over, trying my best not to rush or look frazzled. For the first time that day, I felt eyes on me the closer I got to Landon and the rest of the group. Glancing around, I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment. Just before I reached them, the entire group walked away in unison, it seemed. Well, what the hell? Halting in my tracks, I watch as they continued down the hall, oblivious that I was anywhere around them. 

Well, I’ll just approach him at lunch at our table. Yes, that was the new plan. Quickly returning my things to my locker, I headed off towards the lunchroom with a newfound determination. Landon was going to talk to me, whether he liked it or not. 

Spotting them at the far end of the lunch room, I grabbed a few things from the buffet bar, paid, and then made my way with my tray over to where they sat, chatting and laughing happily. ’That was me just a couple days ago,’ I thought sourly.