Chapter 4

New version here! :) Again, sorry bout the formatting if it's bad...

Chapter 4: Lassie.

My eyes flash open and I quickly remember where I am. I quietly slip out of bed and turn to see Stefan quietly staring at me. In surprise, I scream.

"What’s with you, yelling after you wake up!" he demands in exasperation.

"W-What are you doing here?!" I stutter, suddenly suspicious of why he is watching me.

"I'm your guide remember? Or are all women still this stupid, after five years?"

"I am not stupid," I say adamantly, frowning. "What do you mean "five years"?" I glare at him, clearly offended.

He sighs, looks up at the ceiling and then looks solemnly at me ~ the best way he could anyway. My face scrunches in confusion, as I give him a questioning look.

"We started off on the wrong foot. Sorry for acting like such an ass just now. I'm Stefan Velerikov. You're Lassie No-last~name?"

"Just now? You mean "back then"?" I softly mutter, rolling my eyes.

"Hey! I'm trying to be nice!" he growls, shouting back.

I slowly nod, still suspicious of him. "Yes; call me Lassie. And you are my guide, right?"

He shrugs. "Apparently. And I have nothing better to do anyway."

"Great answer," I mutter again, "you get to be with the only girl here and you say 'apparently. And I have nothing better to do anyway'."

Stefan glares at me. If looks could kill. "So let me explain from the beginning?" he asks menacingly.

"Why are we here? Why are there no girls? What's with all the water? The weird blue orb lantern thingys? The -"

"Shut up!" He yells again. I blink. He shuts his eyes in aggravation, taking deep breaths. I frown. I was not that bad. "Just- just let me explain okay?" he asks.

"Um, all right..." I agree.

"Okay. Let's see. Abscond started five years ago - its a created dimension and I'm one of the first to come here. It was created to be a jail for teenagers between the ages of ten and twenty who have done bad crimes and such, like committing suicide, murdering people, and stuff like that. It -"

"Wait, wait. Bad crimes?" I ask, hoping I had heard wrong. If everybody here came because of a crime, then he did too. 

"Yeah, you heard me. I thought I said 'no interrupting'," he says gruffly.

I sigh. "You implied it," I remark, clearly noting that he did not answer the question, but too afraid to ask again. He watches me, his analyzing, dark eyes staring into mine. He sighs.

"It's just sort of taboo to ask that question. More of a 'don't ask, don't tell' thing," he continues, scratching the back of his neck uncertainly.

"Logistically speaking though, that means that I came here because I did something," I whisper. He shrugs.

"Logistically speaking, yes," he replies. "Can I continue?" He raises a dark eyebrow and looks pointedly at me. 

I nod, although I am no longer too eager to hear more. After all, I am no longer too eager to hear more. After all, I am with people who had a possible criminal background…scratch that. A definite criminal background.

"Let's see… it's created by this organization known as LEECHES. LEECHES being an acronym for Leave Everything, Eradicating Crimes in Hell; Effectively Simple. Anyway, this organization was created for baddies like us so that we can repent and not be a danger to civilization. Are you following so far?"

I hesitantly nod. "I think so, Stefan. But how do you know about the LEECHES thing? Why the water and the no girls and stuff? Why can't I remember anything while you guys all do? Do you know if it's because I am a girl?" I ask, my interest further peaked. Everything fit together like a puzzle. Piece by piece. Unfortunately, not all the pieces were in place yet.

"To be honest, the best answer I can give you about knowing the LEECHES organization so well is because it's everywhere and on everything. Their logo, I mean. This whole place was created by them. The scientists want us to repent our sins so we live in the worst kind of conditions, in a place like a sewer.

There are nicer areas such as the Warm rooms here but the space is really limited so most people don't get the chance to work or live in such areas. With you being a girl, I initially thought that there was a separate dimension for you girls so I don't exactly understand why you were sent to Abscond. We remember all of our memories because we have to repent for our sins. So you, on the other hand is a peculiar, special case. Any other questions?"

"Yes. What's with the weird lantern orb thingys?"

"Oh, the scientist give us some stuff and there are various rooms for special tools and such- that's why we have all these machines and stuff. We just use what they give," Stefan answers vaguely, as he runs his hand through his dark hair.

"Oh. I see..." I mutter to myself, pondering how this all fits together correctly.

"Anyway, you need these grippy shoes," he grunts, holding up a pair of slick material that looked tight enough to be a pair of socks. I grimace and turn my head, disgusted as I eye the flimsy, battered, wet, sock-like shoes. He sighs. "Trust me. They help. I got you the smallest size," he growls, as he brings himself to stand. "Ready to see the land?" I glance up at him warily,while squirming into the tight shoes, still suspicious of his kind actions. He sighs deeply again, frustrated at my non-response. "Look, I promise I won't be mean. Promise. It's just my nature to be hostile to everything," he says aggravated. I scrutinize him.

He is a pretty intimidating person. His eyes and hair are both dark, giving him a darker aura than Jonah, who has a bright, cheery smile and blonde hair. I have yet to see Stefan smile; his face is constantly a scowl. He has nice abs and his muscles are amazing, which I can see through his thin shirt. His personality said "don't talk to me" all over. But he is trying. His very best too, and the way he looks at me, his eyes begging me to understand. It is just the kind of person he is. I admit that I am scared of him. Any girl would be and after knowing that he - we - are here because of a crime did not help either.

Nevertheless, I muster a small smile, slipping out of the cozy covers and walk over to the door. "Then let's go."

Okay, I will upload ASAP. Thanks for everything and the support :) Special thanks to a certain someone, who is my editor. <3 Very thankful <3. 

Comment.

Vote.

Fannn!!!

Thanks again,

~rain-kissed_midnight <3