Prologue

Hi all, I'm not all that good of a writer and I probably have a lot of mistakes in this story but please read this if you have time and let me know how I can make it better. :)

I am not a person who can ever remember dreams so it was surprising for me to actually remember this dream in particular. I really do hope that you enjoy this, thanks!

(And I'll try and think of a better title for this story)

ABSCOND

Prologue: Her.

I wake up to the sound of voices. Who are they? I wonder. Funny, how that is my first thought. I have no idea who I am, where I am, or what I am doing. Although, I am assuming that I am just lying down somewhere; having these strange thoughts in my head. I realize this only now. Something must be wrong with me. I open my eyes or, at least I try but to no avail. It is very bright, I can tell, wherever I am.

I hear someone yell. I cannot understand him. A different language, I think in fascination. I feel like I have always been intrigued by unique and different things, despite the fact that I know that anyone would be. However, I can hear many different sorts of languages, many; nearly all in which I do not understand. All of a sudden, the speaking stops and I can feel their stares penetrating me, even when my eyes are closed shut. I can feel my stiff body start to tense up. The uneasy tension continues, surrounding me and those around me in clouded wisps. My curiosity, however, must be satisfied.

I force my eyes open and they easily do this time, as I realize that in truth, t is actually very dark and damp. Soon, my eyes gradually start to focus and I am able to see much more clearly now. But I see and what I see scares me. Because I do not understand.

There are guys. Or should I say 'men'? Some most certainly look like 'men' after all. There are guys who are short and tall, with all the heights in-between. Their ages seem to be between the ages of ten and twenty, but some do look older than that even. There are blondes, gingers, brunettes, and many more hair colors that have no name. That I can and cannot name. They are all surrounding me. Watching me. But what scares me the most is that there are no girls to be seen. Time feels frozen, as if a still life painting or photograph were painted or taken. I know these strange, trivial facts and yet, there is nothing in my past that I can seem to recall. I know nothing about my past.

There is no family or friends. No boyfriend. No childhood memories of playing in the sand. None from my memories. I contemplate this. Do these men know why I am here? Who are they? What is my reason for being here in this strange place? Why are they here? So many questions come to mind but I am still too afraid to speak. I feel myself tremble, under the glares of curious, alert, intrigued, and surprised eyes, watching me, as if I were a newly discovered species.

“Are you a girl?” one asks warily. I am unable to match the voice with the identity. There is a stirring among the crowd, as they speak in harsh whispers, constantly darting sultry glances in my direction.

I gulp and slowly attempt to say “yes” loud and clearly, but it only comes out as a quiet whisper. Nobody says anything for some time. It should seem obvious, after all. I have long, auburn hair and crystalline blue eyes, with a slim, heart-shaped face and small but full lips, along with a timid but straightforward expression. Why did they ask such a question? They act as if they have never seen a girl before. That such a concept is foreign to them. But that cannot be...could it?

“What is your name?” the same boy asks. I see who asks me the question this time. He looks to be my age, whatever that is. I suppose I am sixteen though, based on my figure and maturity level. His eyes are gray, having tiny brown flecks in the irises which I soon see as he comes closer to me. His slightly crooked nose shows that he has broken it sometime in his life. His cheekbones are very distinguishable and his hair is shaggy but clean cut – a beautiful dark brown. I realize too late that I am staring too long and jolt out of my trance-like daydream. Luckily, nobody snickers or laughs. Well, nobody seems to notice actually.