Chapter 2

Sorry about the formatting....somehow it turned out really weird :P But no matter, here's the new version! Enjoy!!

XOXO

Chapter 2: Lassie.

They are all staring at me, with their dagger-like eyes. I mutely curse Lucas, the only person I actually know here in “Abscond” for leaving me. Stupid Lucas. But it was not like I would actually say something as cliche as 'Don't leave me'.

“What is your name, miss?” the guy asks. He seems slightly older than me. He has dark, short, spiky hair with obsidian colored eyes to match. He is of slight build, tall, and very muscular.

“I do not know,” I answer, knowing that they will least expect to hear such a thing. “I have no memory of anything.” Others gasp and blink, eyes wide in surprise. I roll my eyes. They were being overly dramatic. But the boy who asks this question does not react. In fact, he seems disbelieving.

“Lucas told me that he would call me 'Lass',” I mutter quietly, strangely saddened by his suspicion.

“Lass?!” he scoffs, “Do you expect all of us to just accept a girl who is clearly ot strong enough to do work in Abscond? A girl that has no memories of her past whatsoever?” I stay silent, continuing to listen to his rant. He is a bit sexist, what with the 'girl-this, girl-that...'

“Nobody believes you, 'Lass',” he sneers. Anger boils and churns inside of me. To get back at him, I decide to idolize Lucas.

“Don't,” I mutter. Don't call me Lass! It's Lassie! Lassie!” I say.

“But you said-” he starts.

“Lucas calls me that. Call me Lassie,” I tell him. He glares at me, or at the mention of Lucas's name at least, as he angrily grits his teeth. I flinch but brace myself for the outburst that was sure to come.

“Well, it's a pleasure to meet ya, Lassie,” someone says from behind me. I whip around to see who it is. “The name's Jonah Williams,” he drawls. I recognize the drawl being a southern country accent. The same accent that called me and Lucas to this room. With freckles, blond, wavy hair, and ivy green eyes, he looks to be a nice, friendly person.

He gives me a dashing smile. “Sorry I was so late,” he says,” But I heard that there was a pretty, young lady present in the Chamber Room and what a pretty, young lad we have here, do you not agree, Stefan? Why interrogate her so? She deserves a good rest for now.”

“You're late, Jonah. Do you think this allows you to actually get a say in our decisions?” Stefan growls, his face twisted into a menacing scowl. I frown. I am freezing my butt off in the water and he is still arguing?

“Does your pride mean more than your humanity, Stefan? Because you ain't acting the right way at all,” Jonah continues, matching my thoughts exactly. I break out into a small smile. He was the only guy so far who seemed to actually care about the way I felt.

Stefan steams with anger, his face flushed red with irritation.

“I've had it with you people! Just do whatever you want!” Stefan yells as he loudly splashes and leaves the room. Jonah sighs.

"Sometimes, he fergets that he’s not the one in charge ‘round here…" he mutters to himself. He then looks up and gives me a questioning glance. "Did ya get anything to eat?" I shake my head.

"She does now," announces Lucas as he pushes a platform across the water, his muscles straining, visibly shown under his tattered shirt. The platform was covered with an assortment of fruits.