Chapter 11

In the 2014 additions to the UK Potter books, Rowling says part of the process to become an Animagus is to hold the leaf of a Mandrake in your mouth for a whole month.

Can you imagine. These boys in Minerva McGonagall's classes for that month, hoping she doesn't notice.

Now that you pointed that out I'm 100% sure Minerva knew about that.

Ok imagine all the marauders pretending to take a vow of silence for a month to keep that up.
Like wearing chalkboards around their necks and writing out anything they have to say around teachers and coming up with another ridiculous reason every time someone asks why they're taking a vow of silence like. We're protesting the traditional student/teacher constructs and the unreasonable verbal requirements of school. We're raising awareness of how funny we are and how much your lives are worse without our beautiful voices telling jokes. We're in a very intense round of the Silent Game and we're all here to WIN.

Bonus points if part of deflecting suspicion is keeping up the silent act for multiple months. The mandrake thing is done, they don't even need to annoy everyone with their ploy anymore, but God damn if they aren't going to flog the chance to play charades HORRIBLY for all it's worth.