[17] Shatter Me

My heart pounded inside my chest as I got into the passenger seat of Aiden's car.

"Don't worry." He tried to reassure me as he started driving. "I'm sure Jason's going to be okay." But I knew that he couldn't even be sure of that.

He was nervous but probably not nearly as nervous as I was. Anxiety was rushing through my body as Aiden drove up to the scene of the crash.

But it became more than just anxiety as I laid eyes on Jason. It was clear to see that he had been thrown off of his motorcycle. And my heart skipped a beat as I realized -- there was blood. A lot of it.

***

Police cars, ambulance trucks, and more people than I was comfortable with filled the area. But I ignored all of them as I pushed past the police men and the medics, to where Jason was.

I dropped to my knees beside him.

Sirens were going off all around me and people were talking over each other - some yelling - but I drowned all of it out. Tears lingered in my eyes but refused to fall.

Jason was trying his hardest to hold onto consciousness. Deep pain was evident in his eyes as he quietly said my name. "Serenity..."

"I'm here." I choked on the words in my throat.

"I..." He didn't finish. It hurt him too much to talk.

The tears finally gave in and they began falling down my face continually.

I couldn't tell weather the crash had been death threatening or not. I couldn't tell If Jason was going to die or if he was going to make it until he was taken to the hospital, where they could save him. I couldn't tell anything. I was too caught up in my tears and fear to think.

But still, I said the words that were the last thing he heard before unconsciousness overtook him

"Jason, please. You can't leave me." I lowered my voice. "I-I love you."

And I meant it. More than he knew. More than I knew. More than anyone knew.

And, in that moment, as I said those three words... My fear, my glass surrounding, my everything... had been shattered.