27. This is only the beginning

Elena's POV

I woke up abruptly due to the alarming argument that was unfolding in the same room that I was being kept in. The volume of their bickering increasing by the second. I winced slightly in pain as I pried my eyes open but the sheer light of the room almost blinded me, forcing me to close my eyes once again.

"She's awake, you can all stop arguing now!" Holly snapped and I could feel her presence getting closer to me as the temperature in my surrounds heightened.

Within seconds the room went silent and the only noise that could be heard was my slow breathing. Not a single word was spoken as the room filled with an awkward silence that was unusual amongst my group.

"Hey, Elena, you can open your eyes." Another voice spoke softly from the opposite direction as my hand was lifted up and I felt my body tingle with delight. "You're alive and healthy, you just drained too much of your energy."

"W-where am I?" I croaked, finding it rather to difficult to speak as my throat was parched and even swallowing my own saliva made my throat sting. Once again I pried my eyes open, this time even slower allowing my eyes to adapt to the light change I had not been used to since I had passed out.

"Well, the castle was too far away so we brought you to our doctors home. It was the closest building to us so Alex dragged us all here." Trevor explained. I turned my head to face him and nothing he had dark patches under his eyes probably from lack of sleep and blood deprivation. I sat upright and leaned against the back of the bed to face everyone properly.

Nearly everyone in this room looked the same. The Queen was sitting on a chair in the far corner with her face buried in her hands as she was still mourning over her most recent loss. She looked weak and pale, something that was new to me. She always put up a strong front and I admired her for that because she was independent and she pulled herself forward. However, today she looked like she had just lost all meaning to her life.

Callum sat next to mother, his arm around her shoulder as he too looked down on the white tiled flooring, not moving an inch as he stared into nothing. His face showed anger but I could tell inside he was breaking down and his world was slowly shattering once again as another member of his family was snatched away from him.

My own brother, Jake, stood beside Trevor as he hung to his elbow, half of his right arm missing. It had fully healed and you could see the bone sticking a little out from his upper arm as he stared at it with shock and horror. He didn't know what to say or do to comfort himself let alone anyone else. He just stood there rubbing his arm as though he could magically heal it right back out and let it be back to normal.

Trevor stood up right looking down at me worried. His face etched with confusion as the events of today replayed in all of our minds. He looked the most tired and exhausted out of everyone in this room. His hair looked untameable, a danger to any comb nearby while his body looked drained. As though he too had used every last drop of energy he had in him.

The only person in the room who was full of energy and probably feeling more alive now than they had ever been was holding my hand firmly in their own.

Alex stood beside me to my left as he simply looked down at me, guilt written all over his face. He looked annoyed at making me keep going so that I could pry Luke and the demonic creature apart but that was all behind us now, wasn't it?

He sat down on the edge of the bed I seemed to be laying on and he brought my hand up to his mouth before gently placing a soft kiss on it.

"How are you feeling?" He asked smiling sadly. I looked back into his eyes seeing there was a permany colour change. Instead of his eyes being in their natural blue or the strange blood red it used to turn every once in a while, it had permanently become orange. It was a fairly bright color while the ornage had a dark outline of osidian enveloped around them.