chapter 11.

POV SCARLETT

The doctors lift the gurney up, carefully moving it to a treatment room. I watch as they do it, noticing I'm all by myself now. April has left me to take care of Laney and help the doctors. Remembering my promise, I quickly follow them.

All the people in the room are saying complicated terms, ones which I have no idea what it is.

"April, what's happening?" I ask her when she stops talking to one of the docs.

"Listen, Scarlett. Laney has been through a lot in these last years. So, we believe it's caused by trauma. It's not an easy thing to work with, but if that's what she actually has, she would need someone to rely on..." She pauses for a second, sighing. "And, currently, that's not something she has daily." She stares at me with a sad smile.

"I- I mean..." I stutter, a lump forming in my throat, looking for a solution. "We can tell the cops now, can't we? Now that Laney already knows the story. Plus, we can't leave her in that house for long!"

"I'm sorry, Scar. But seeing her reaction, I don't think this is something she wants to do. Tell someone about it. Although, I strongly agree we should get her out of the house." April says, looking at the ground."Telling more people would break all the trust between us. What we can do is convince her of it." My mouth hangs slightly open.

"So, we're supposed to let her stay there? What if it happens again?" I motion my hands in nervousness. The nurse locks eyes with mine, letting me know what she thinks.   She sends me an apologetic look and leaves.

I sit on a chair at the side of the gurney. The doctors had left the room by now, making conversation in the hallways. I watched the movement outside. There were some security guards and doctors all around, some of them talking with patients and their families.

I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket, drawing my attention to it. I grab it, unlocking the screen. My lawyer's number pops on the screen. I look at Laney's limp body, accommodated in the thin sheets, and then take I deep breath.

"I'm sorry, honey." I whisper, my lips pressing tightly against each other.

I pressed 'accept call' and, after rubbing the girl's hand softly, I leave the room, talking to my lawyer.

"Hi. Before you say anything else, I have some new information that can help." I tell him, feeling my heart pounding quickly, hesitant about what's about to happen.

"I'm listening." He murmured curiously.

I blurt at him the situation, being self cautious enough to keep my voice as low as possible so only him can hear it. As he pronounces himself, I can tell he's smiling even if I can't see his face.

"That's great information, Mrs. Johansson. It will help a lot. I'm starting a police report right away. I'll tell you when I'm done. How does that sound?" He suggested.

I sigh. That's what I want, I guess.

"That's great, thanks." I agree, bringing my phone out of my ear and ending the call. I let a sigh, feeling my throat dry. I better go get some water.

I walk to the vending machine and get two bottles of water. One for me, and one for Laney if she feels thirsty when she wakes up.

I feel my phone buzzing in my back pocket, causing me to jump a little, wondering if it's my lawyer telling me that something went wrong. It's not. Colin is calling me. I look at the time and notice it is quite late. I haven't even noticed that I was here for that long; it's like I keep forgetting timing.

"Hi baby." I smile, picking the call up.

"Hey, babe. How u doing?" Colin's caring voice echos through the phone speaker. "Why is it taking so long? Did something happen?" I had already told Colin about Laney's situation. I trust him for keeping it only for who matters.