The Wolves in the Woods Chapter 2-Mangy Dog!

• Dedicated to Cora Davis

I don’t know how long I was asleep, or even where I was. I woke up several times before I finally fully came too. Each time though I felt a little stronger as I cast out my senses; smell, sound, and touch. No matter how hard I tried or how strong I felt I couldn’t bring that strength to open my eyes and be fully awake.

            It was relatively busy household from the sounds bouncing through the walls. Probably their main, house that would explain the constant aroma of food cooking coming from the kitchen, these boys could eat! I could hear the sounds of laughter, and children giggling like one big happy family. Well good for them.

            A few people came and went from my room, but no one spoke a word. My half working brain wasn’t sure what to make of all these, just stored it all away for me to go over whenever my body decided that it was healed enough to wake its ass up!

            There was only one thing that never change though from what I could tell; there was always someone sitting somewhere beside the bed that I lay in, hand atop mine at my side.  Sometimes I could feel their fingers rubbing soothing circles on the back of my hand leaving pleasant tingles in their wake.

            I concentrated on the feeling of that hand on mine, hoping that it would awake the rest of me so I could finally get up and get the hell out of here. But the more I concentrated the more I wanted to relax into their touch, I felt almost at peace. Something I haven’t felt in a very long time. I lapsed back into a deep sleep almost feeling…safe?

. . .

            After what felt like days I finally forced my eyes open. The room I was in was dark only illuminated by the slit of moonlight that crept through the curtains. The hand was still present on my mine, but was still at the moment radiating heat into my skin. I turned to place a face on the owner of the hand, and froze when I saw it was the guy from the woods, the one that caught me and brought me here. I quickly tried to retract my hand away from his, not wanting to feel his skin on mine, or the wholeness that his touch brought to me, but he held fast gripping my hand tightly not enough to hurt me though.

            “So you’re finally awake?” He asked, his voice husky sounding tired even though he tried not to show it.   

            “No kidding, now let go of me.” I sneered as I tried to pry my hand free with no success.

            “No I like holding your hand; it has almost a calming effect on me. Made it quite difficult to stay up and watch you but I held out.” He said casually, like I was a lifelong friend and not a practical stranger who was being held prisoner.

            “How long have I been out?” I ask curtly.

            “Nearly three days. Our doctor gave you a once over right after I brought you here. Like I thought, almost all the muscles in your legs were torn and a few severed. Also he could tell there was some sort of damage to your lungs and even your heart, but you were healing so he let you off with and IV for the last two days and bed rest. I’ll have to inform him that you’re awake.”

            I wasn’t surprised by any of this, it’s not a first for me. I have had a few close calls before, and took quite a bit of damage and ended up bed ridden for two days before I could even twitch a muscle in my legs and not scream. There damage around my heart and lungs wasn’t a shocker either, even though it had only happened once before and had taken me a week and a half before I would breath easily or even walk small distanced without stopping to rest.

            “Wait, three days? You sat there and watched me for three straight days?” Why would he do such a thing? Was it an order? Did they think I was going to randomly wake up and disappear? Okay I had to admit I probably would have tried too if not for my babysitter over here.