009. ━ dr. mckenna halloway

season six // episode nineteen[ dr

[ dr. mckenna halloway ]

❝I'm Dr. McKenna Halloway.
I'm the Head of General at
Seattle Pres.❞

𝐌𝐜𝐊𝐄𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐀 majority of her life inside of a hospital. The only times that her father was ever truly interested in being a 'present' father was when he brought his children to work. He would hand off the twins to a nurse and they would spend their days watching his surgeries from the observation deck.

By age six, she had memorized how to do a Whipple procedure on a human being.

She was twenty-three when she did one for the first time.

But she had never dreamed of being a doctor, let alone a surgeon. She had seen first-hand how the profession had destroyed the love that her parents had once shared. She witnessed her father distancing himself from his family, only ever appearing as a happy family to the outside world.

Instead, she dreamt of being an artist. It was her passion. She could often be found making little doodles in all of her school notebooks in the margins next to her math homework. Art class was where she excelled.

But she never got to be an artist.

McKenna Halloway became a surgeon.

She stood outside of Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital, glancing up at the sign to the right of the building. She never wanted to be the surgeon that was sought after.

In truth, that seemed like too much work.

She would pick one place and stay there until it was the right time to leave. Unfortunately for her, Derek Shepherd had other thoughts and practically begged her to join them as an occasional guest surgeon.

How could she say no?

Especially after London seemed so excited at the idea.

And McKenna Halloway would do anything for her sister. She always had. She always would.

"You do know that most people just walk inside, right?" McKenna looked over at the voice and saw London standing behind her with a teasing smile on her face. "I mean, it feels like common sense."

She shook her head in amusement. "I was just thinking..."

"About what?"

"Life," McKenna answered distantly before wrapping an arm around her sister and pulling her close, resting her head against London's. "And, truthfully, I never thought I would be working with Richard Webber because somebody didn't have faith in his abilities alone."

London shrugged, linking her arm with McKenna's, leading her inside the hospital. "He's not the same person that Mom and Dad knew," she said with a small sigh. "But I am really glad that you're here."