29. How to Become a Human

-Micah-

-Micah-

That freaking jerk almost got himself killed, and nearly took Wendell with him! I was mad. I was so freaking mad. I had no idea how I messed up so bad I accidentally changed into my royal form instead of turning into a lynx, but at least this time me screwing up was a good thing. First time for everything, right?

So, there I was, weighing probably two or three tons – never thought that could happen – lying in a half-burned hayfield with two sleeping vampires under my wings. I was still mad at them, but for my own annoyance, truly relieved that they both were all right. If I had arrived a minute later, they would probably be dead now. That thought shook my soul in a level I didn't even know existed.

The sun was getting higher, and I wondered if we had to stay there the entire day. I didn't want to move in fear I would step on Adrian or Wendell, or accidentally let the sun touch them. I didn't move even after I learned that for someone as heavy as myself, it wasn't such a great idea to be lying on my feet that long. It was getting a bit painful, but I still didn't move.

But soon, as if the situation wasn't weird enough, I saw a couple of dirt bikes, followed by a SUV and two pickup trucks, coming out of the forest. They all headed towards us, and since I couldn't tell if they were friendly or not, I started growling to wake up my companions. The dirt bikes were faster than the cars, and since neither Adrian or Wendell showed any signs of waking up, I had to make the decisions on my own.

I actually had no idea how I did it, but when I took a deep breath and let all that air out in a sudden, strong burst, it turned into fire. The bikers took the hint and stopped, keeping a respectful distance between us. I still wasn't sure whether or not I should let them get closer. They had to be demons or humans, since they hadn't turned into vampire-torches under the sun, but that didn't say much. The cars didn't come any closer either, but the driver of the SUV got out of the car, and started approaching us with hands spread on his sides as a sign of peace. He was wearing some sort of army equipment with light camouflage patterns all over his uniform, but he seemed unarmed.

"Royal Micah? Mother Heidi sent us! We're here to get you to safety!" the driver yelled across the field, and I was pleased to hear his voice shaking at the sight of me.

I found his scent, which told me he was human. Poor guy.

I still had no idea what to do, though. I slammed the ground a couple of times with my tail, and growled demandingly. The human stopped right away, and took a step back.

'Adrian, for fuck's sake!' I screamed in my head. 'Wake up!'

Ah, finally that braindead mate of mine woke up. Hopefully with a massive headache.

"What?!" he yelled back at me.

'Humans, twelve o'clock,' I told him.

"What?" he repeated, but with a worried tone this time. "Wendell. Wendell!"