25. Home

-Micah-

-Micah-

It was fairly safe to say that I had never actually stopped to think about what it would be like to be a vampire's mate. I wondered if our situation was some weird-ass Stockholm syndrome, but I dismissed that thought right away. It had been clear to me from early on that Adrian was harmless. He was just a misguided, lonely vampire who had been driven mad by his own grief. Mad enough to think that he could actually tame a royal demon. He had been lucky that he had found me, instead of some full-grown, full-powered royal. Poor vampire would have been dead the second he had tried to lay his finger on a real royal.

If I still had any doubts about his true feelings towards me, they all had been washed away the second he had mindlessly challenged Heidi, a leader. I didn't know much about vampire hierarchy, but I knew that he had no changes whatsoever in a battle against a high ranked vampire, not to mention the Mother herself. And yet, he had challenged her, for me.

Wasn't that just the most romantic thing in the world?

Thankfully, Heidi had decided to overlook his traitorous act. I was sure that Adrian was just so very new to this whole mate-thing, and couldn't control his instincts. I had felt the rage in him, and a part of me found it really hot. The rest of me was worried that he would get himself killed. However, the thing that surprised me the most was my own, sudden urge to go to him. I wasn't sure if my instincts were trying to tell me to go soothe him down, or back him up.

Vampires were ridiculously obsessed with their mates. Like he said, they would die protecting their partners, even if they knew it was completely useless, and they would end up dead. Us demons, on the other hand, didn't feel so strongly. At least that was what I had heard, but when Heidi jammed Adrian's head against Wendell's, I was getting into fight-mode to save him. It was weird actually. I knew perfectly well that Heidi did the only thing she could to stop the two males from tearing each other apart, but I got angry over it anyway.

"Micah?" I heard Heidi's voice, and I snapped out of my thoughts, feeling embarrassed that I had just missed half of her speech about transforms.

"Sorry..." I muttered, and tried to focus, but it wasn't easy when the spirit of the lynx inside me was being so anxious.

Heidi looked at me with her dark eyes for a long time, before she turned to look at Adrian for a moment. "You know, we vampires have this honeymoon-thing for those pairs who are still claiming each other as their mates. I wish I could give you that opportunity, but Raoul isn't going to wait."

"I know, I'm sorry... I'll do better," I said, and shook my shoulders to get the blood flowing in my head. "Okay, I'm ready."

She gave me a pitying smile. "No, you're not. You are far from ready. I must say that you two becoming mates now is more than just inconvenient. If this would have happened a month ago, I'd be thrilled, but now is the worst possible time for having two horny, anxious, over-protective youngsters in my hands. Your instincts will push all reason out of your head the second he gets a paper cut. And it's even worse for him," she said, nodding her head towards Adrian.