28. Nightmare From Hell

-Adrian-

-Adrian-

I had to fight against every instinct I had just to be able to push Micah out of the car. Everything in me told me to keep him close so I could protect him, but my instincts were wrong. He wasn't safe with us. I couldn't protect him if he was with me. I was in physical and mental pain, but I knew I did the right thing.

I had felt loss before. My family... I already had deep wounds in my soul, one more didn't make much difference. At least, that was what I kept telling myself, because that was not the time or place to fall apart.

"How far... How..." Why was it so hard to focus on what I was going to ask?

"A mile or two," Wendell said, and I could tell by the sound of his voice that he was beyond exhausted. "Don't let him out yet, brother. You'll tear me apart first if you do."

His words made no sense to me, not at first. Then I realized I was about to lose control over myself. I had spent my entire vampire life fighting against my inner beast, but now I was whole, the beast was me, so there was no entity to fight against. There was only me, and my panicked urge to go find Micah. I had to keep myself in order, because Wendell was right. I would hurt him just because he was there, and he was far from being able to fight me in his tired state.

It wasn't easy. It was far, far, far from easy. I could feel Micah, how betrayed he felt, how scared he was. He was sad and angry and worried and it all got mixed with my own emotions.

"How far are we?" I asked, forcing every word out of my mouth, trying to concentrate on the situation we were in.

"I have no idea..." Wendell breathed out. "I'm... I can barely see the road..."

"We have to stop, I can still fight," I said, looking out of the rear window.

"Just a little bit further..." he muttered, looking like he was about to pass out any second.

"Stop the car," I said, placing my hand on his shoulder. "You find some cover, I'll deal with Raoul's fools."

"I should have... known... He's after me... I... My family... One of my... children... betrayed me..."

"Stop the car," I said again, and I could feel the magic fading around us. The car suddenly let out a horrible screech that hurt my ears, and I saw flames lashing out under the hood.

Wendell did his best to keep the car on the road, but it still was a rough ride. Once the car stopped at the side of the road, we hurried out just in time before the flames devoured it. I saw Wendell dropping down on his knees out of exhaustion.

"Here they come," he said gloomily, and I turned to see the road behind us.

They had a whole army chasing us. I could hear the dozens of cars driving towards us on the empty road. It would take only a couple of seconds before we were going to get ran over by them.