18. The Mother Witch

-Adrian-

-Adrian-

"Stupid cat..." I mumbled while standing just outside of the front door, trying to find even the smallest hint of Micah scent.

Wendell was parking his car close by in the dark yard, and I could see his mate, Heidi, sitting next to him. I felt nervous when I saw her looking at me. After all these hundred years, I still felt nervous around her. Most of the time I was pretty sure that she didn't even like me.

I waited patiently by the door, while the two leaders of the second biggest vampire family of our state got out of the fine Mercedes. I bowed my head down when Heidi's eyes trailed to my direction. It was disrespectful for a low-rank vampire to make eye contact with a leader of another family, and I was as low as a vampire could be, since I didn't have a family anymore.

"Adrian," she spoke with her deep, dark voice when she stopped in front of me. "It has been a while."

"Mother," I bowed my head even lower, trying to be as respectful as possible.

I think she was pissed because her mate had given me the permission to call him brother. It was the highest compliment a vampire could receive, but since I was low-rank, while Wendell was a leader, it was outrageous. I knew Heidi would never give me the permission to call her sister, so I had to address her as Mother. I wasn't even allowed to speak her name.

"This place sure has changed," she continued, patting my shoulder as a sign that I was allowed to look up again. "I'm not quite sure if I'm a fan of the broken windows, but I guess it is an option if you wish to feel a light breeze even inside."

"There was a... kind of an accident–" I tried to speak, but she lifted her hand up to silence me.

"Kind of an accident," she repeated my words silently, like she was talking to herself while she walked to the door. I gave Wendell a worried look, but he was sweating under his handmade clothes, and looked like he was about to freak out at any moment. "Aren't you going to invite me in?" Heidi continued with a pleasant voice, but it made the situation a whole lot scarier.

"Yes, Mother, please, come in," I hurried to speak and rushed to the door, opening it to her while bowing my head down.

She didn't say a word to me when she passed me by. I cursed myself for not cleaning the house in time. I had tried, but failed miserably. I turned to look at Wendell, who followed his mate, crouching his shoulders and keeping his head down.

"Looks like we're in trouble now," I muttered to him when I followed him inside.

"This is your fault!" he hissed at me, but snapped his mouth shut when Heidi stopped in the middle of my destroyed entrance hall to look around.

"Kind of an accident," she repeated slowly and pursed her lips together. "I would ask you to show me where I can sit, but it looks like you don't have any seats left."