Le Mariage Secret

I DO NOT OWN REIGN. I DO HOPE THAT PEOPLE STILL GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THIS STORY.

FACE CLAIMS

FATHER MATTHIEU GÉRALD- JEREMY IRONS

Veneur Estate. Carrogues, Kingdom of France. 1 week later.

After Mary and I reconciled and vowed to begin our love anew, everything seemed to be perfect for us. It was like the early days of our romance all over again. We ate together, walked together, rode together and yes, we slept together as well.

Bash had noticed our change in demeanor and was happy for it. He seemed to have put away any feelings that he had once possessed towards Mary and seemed to be settling into the friend zone better than we could have hoped for. I just hoped that Bash would still end up with Kenna. Despite the fact that they had been force together by that raging lunatic Henry Valois, Bash and Kenna had the potential to be a good pair for each other, if Kenna could ever get over her hedonist ways and make the most of what she had.

Tanneguy and Marguerite had also noticed that Mary and I seemed considerably happier and were now stuck to each other like glue. It was clear that the whole household was happier as a result. As Bash and I got close to Tanneguy, Mary and Marguerite became better friends themselves. It had been hard for Mary to be without her ladies in waiting; especially after Aylee had died. Having Marguerite as a surrogate gal pal helped ease the loss considerably.

As we played games and enjoyed the pleasant company, I was grateful for the fond memories that Mary and Bash and I were making at the Veneur estate. I knew that with all of trials and tribulations to come, it was important to be able to have these happy memories to look back to.

Deep down, I knew that our vacation couldn't go on forever and sure enough, it eventually came to an end thanks to my bride to be. Tanneguy had a swing on his property that he had built for his sister, but they had both allowed Mary and I to use it at our leisure. As she was swinging, Mary suddenly stopped and turned to me.

"Francis...being here has been wonderful...but we need to go back to court." Mary said as i heaved a sigh. I knew that she was right, but that didn't mean I had to like it.

"Mary...if we go back, Catherine will only force us to be part once again. She takes Nostradamus's visions as gospel." I pointed out as Mary nodded while she looked deep in turmoil. She took my hands and squeezed them.

"Do you trust me, Francis?" Mary asked me as I kissed her hands.

"You know I do." I told her honestly.

"Then let us find a priest and get married this day." Mary said, catching me off guard. I hadn't expected her to be one for eloping.

"Mary...if we do this..." I stuttered until she put a finger to my lips.

"If we do this, there is nothing Catherine can do." She insisted eagerly. "Your father will support us to have a chance at England and your mother wouldn't dare risk trying to get an annulment. Francis, this is the only way to stop her." I leaned in and kissed my Queen deeply before looking into her eyes.

"I shall be your husband or no one's." I promised her as I picked Mary up and held her close.

St. Matthias's Catholic Church. Carrouges, Kingdom of France. That evening.

It was dusk as we rode up to the church. I helped Mary dismount her horse as Bash dismounted next to us.

"So much for getting sauced at your wedding." Bash gripped as Tanneguy pounded on the church door.

"There is always the chance that Henry might make us marry publicly, you can drink your fill there." I said with a chuckle, clapping my best man on the back. Meanwhile, Marguerite was overjoyed to serve as Mary's maid of honor. I saw Tanneguy discussing things with the priest, Father Matthieu Gérald. He put a pouch of coins in the priest's hands, earning a nod.

"We are set, I told Father Gérald that you are lovers from rival families who seek to wed behind your parent's backs." The count explained. I fought to stifle a laugh. The dude was ripping off Romeo and Juliet before it was even written. "Your names are François and Marie."

"All right." Mary replied as we all walked into the church. It was near dark and quiet as we all took our places for the ceremony.

"Welcome, we are gathered here today in the sight of God and these witnesses to join together François and Marie in holy matrimony." Father Gérald said as I looked at my beautiful bride. She wasn't wearing a white dress, but her happy face made up for it.

"François and Marie, you have come together this evening, so that the Lord may seal and strengthen your love in the presence of this minister of his word and your family and friends and so, in the presence of this gathering, I ask you to state your intentions." The father continued. "Have you both come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage? If so, answer by saying I have."

"I have." Mary and I said in unison

"A reading from the Apostle Paul, 1st Corinthians, chapter thirteen, verses 4 through 7." Father Matthieu said as he opened the Bible. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." I saw Mary fighting back tears as we held onto each others hands.

"Let us pray for this couple as they make their marriage vows." The priest continued as we bowed our heads. "Father, as François and Marie pledge themselves to each other, help them and bless them that their love may be pure, and their vows may be true. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen. You may now say your vows." I took a deep breath as I looked into Mary's eyes.

"I, François take thee, Marie to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part. This is my solemn vow." I said as I could have never imagine making this vow to anyone before I met Mary Stuart.

"I, Marie, take thee, François to be my wedded husband. To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish m, till death do is part. This is my solemn vow." Mary replied with what I prayed were tears of joy on her face.

"Who had the rings?" Father Gérald asked as we realized that we had no rings. I quickly pulled a couple of loose strings off of my shirt and handed one to Mary.

"I do." I replied as everyone chuckled at my quick thinking.

"Necessity is the mother of invention." The priest said, chuckling. "François, please take the ring you have selected for Marie, As you place it on her finger, repeat after me: with this ring, I thee wed."

"With this ring, I thee wed." I told Mary as i tied the string around her left ring finger.

"Marie, please take the ring you have selected for François." Father Matthieu continued. "As you place it on his finger, repeat after me: With this ring, I thee wed.

"With this ring, I thee wed." Mary replied, her voice breaking as she tied the 2nd string around my left ring finger.

"May Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, always be at the center of the new lives you are now starting to build together, that you may know the ways of true love and kindness." Father Gérald prayed one more time. "May the Lord bless you both all the days of your lives and fill you with His joy, Amen."

"Amen." We all said, crossing ourselves.

"By the power vested in me by the Church, I now pronounce you husband and wife." The Priest declared. "You may kiss the bride!" Mary leaned into me and we kissed passionately, earning claps from Bash, Tanneguy, and Marguerite as we drowned them out and just focused on how we were finally free and secure in our love.

REVIEWS NEEDED AND APPRECIATED