La Meurtre De Tòmas

I DO NOT OWN REIGN.

French Court. Kingdom of France. The same night.

To be honest, I had never planned a murder before in my life. I'd like to tell you that I was able to turn off my emotions like a regular sociopath; but if I did, I'd be a liar. The Lord's honest truth is that I was so scared that I felt as though I was going to piss my pants. It hurt my conscience as I struggled with the thought of taking a human life.

Was Tomàs of Portugal a domestic abuser? Yes. Was he a low down piece of shit? Yeah. Would the world be better off without him in it? Probably. But did I have the right to off him? It's a huge chasm to hop over; from wishing that dickheads like Tomàs would drop dead to going out and actually making it happen.

Then I thought about Mary who was a desperate young woman being taken advantage of and duped into a life of submissiveness at the hands of that Portuguese brute. I also thought of his manservant Miguel and how he lived in fear of Tomàs's abuse. It had to be done. Tomàs had to go. I reassured myself that if we didn't kill him now, Bash was just going to kill him anyway, once we learned that he had snitched to the English.

What Bash and I were planning to do was cold blooded murder, but it was certainly justified. We planned out the whole thing. The best way to kill Tomàs was to make it look like Tomàs had not been killed at all.

"So, we're agreed." I said as I walked with Bash. "I've sent a message to Tomàs to meet me on the balcony connected to my chambers in an attempt to make him reconsider his original deal with Henry and ply him with wine. At some point, I will utter this phrase; may you and Mary have a happy marriage. That is your cue to strike."

"Then I shall emerge from your wardrobe, we push him over the railing and it will appear as the Portuguese prince to be took a drunken spill." Bash finished as I nodded my agreement.

"Mary can never know about this; she would be crushed, despite the justification." I insisted as Bash nodded.

"I understand Nolan, Tomàs will be stopped and then, we defend Scotland." He assured me as I went to the balcony to await the bastard's arrival while Bash hid himself within my wardrobe. After what seemed like a half hour, the door to my chambers opened and in walked Tomàs.

"Good evening, Milord." I said as I bowed my head.

"I must confess, you're Grace, I was surprised to receive your invitation." Tomàs said as he walked up to me.

"I wanted to speak to you personally, on my father's behalf." I lied as I offered him a smile. "I understand that you are engaging in a deal with Scotland to buy lumber."

"Queen Mary has made...a very intriguing offer; one that I can not refuse." Tomàs replied as I walked over to a jug of wine, popped the cork, and handed it to him.

"Is there nothing that my father could do to convince you to stick with French timber?" I asked as Tomàs drank the wine.

"I'm afraid not. Mary will surely accept my offer to wed me. I know that she was promised to you, but you didn't seem willing to commit." He explained as I needed to lure him in.

"To be honest, you're lifting a great cross off my shoulders." I remarked, trying to gain his trust. The Portuguese bastard looked at me in confusion.

"But...I thought you were in love?" Tomàs questioned as i threw him a fake smirk as i took a sip of wine.

"We need to put on an act to fool the English because they are a threat to both Scotland and France...but the truth is that I can not stand Mary Stuart. Her boldness, her impatience, her refusal to heed any advice save her own...it gets on a man's nerves." I replied as I could see Tomàs changing his tune. "I hope that she will be more agreeable to you."