Luxure

I DO NOT OWN REIGN.

That evening.

As I wrestled with myself about how to handle Olivia's pursuit of Francis, I remembered that Aylee was going to get caught stealing one of Mary's rings and subsequently blackmailed by the Medici serpent. I had thought about intercepting Aylee before she stole the ring; but to be honest, I had more to worry about then a kleptomaniac. I looked at the letters that I had penned. 1 to Leith Bayard, the other to Lord Castleroy. They were anonymous, telling them to come to the wine cellar at midnight. I didn't want to reveal that I was behind the Varden until I had them where I needed them. I summoned a servant and instructed him to deliver the letters without being seen. A few minutes after he'd left, there was a knock at my door. I opened it and there stood Mary, looking distressed.

"Mary, come in." i said as I motioned her inside. She came in and I closed the door after her.

"Francis..I just had an..interesting conversation with Olivia." Mary said as she wrung her hands uncomfortably. "Did...you propose to her?" she asked anxiously as I groaned. Francis had said that and now I had to clean up his BS. I took Mary's hands and sat down on the couch with her.

"We did discuss marriage once, a moment of weakness." I had to admit.

"Lovers, dreaming of a future together." Mary remarked as her voice stung like a wasp.

"I was caught up. Plus, my father was losing faith in the Scottish alliance." I explained as i felt so guilty as I looked in her beautiful brown eyes. "It seemed like he was going to call the whole thing off. If he had...I could have taken Olivia as my wife." Catherine be damned."

"Caught up with a noble girl and a very rich one." Mary reminded me as if i needed it. "Not one with a country in need, hanging around her neck. It's ironic, isn't it? That the very alliance that forged our engagement has always complicated it terribly." She took a deep breath as she struggled to keep composed.

"It has, but that is beyond our control." I admitted as I leaned over and cupped Mary's cheek. "And the fact of the matter is, I am committed to you now."

"I am glad to hear you say it, and towards that end, the Viscountess Demarchelier has offered to house Olivia in Paris." Mary replied as she revealed to me her plan. She has a very lavish estate."

"In Paris?" I asked on script.

"I thought it best she go, Olivia still has feelings for you." Mary insisted as I heaved a sigh at the thought of her making a move on Francis. "She only confided in me to stake a claim. I know that you feel responsible for her, but I wanted to help you find a comfortable arrangement."

"I'll let Olivia know." I said with a weak smile as Mary returned it.

"I should go." Mary said as she stood up, but I quickly pulled her back.

"Mary...please, will you stay for a bit? I just...I really need to be around you right now." i asked as I needed her desperately in that moment. The fear that I might give into my lust for Olivia was terrifying me. I didn't want to lose what I had found with Mary.

"Of course Francis, i'll stay." Mary replied with a smile as I opened my arms and she snuggled up to me on the couch. I held her and felt her warmth, smelled the perfume on her skin. It felt like a home that i'd never known i needed. Mary noticed how deep in thought I was and touched my cheek.

"Are you all right Francis?" she asked as I looked at her face.

"I just...I don't ever want to fuck this up..." I whispered as Mary leaned in and kissed me deeply, not saying a word.

The Next day.

I was a bundle of nerves the next morning. I knew that the next major run in with Olivia was coming. The previous night, i'd had a dream about being with her, her blonde hair, her porcelain skin, the taste of her lips on mine. I used to have dreams like that about Mary and they had been glorious. Now, I felt like I was betraying the woman that I had promised my heart to. Eventually, the moment that I feared came upon me.