2.12

Back in the hub Jack went to his office and Winnie went to check on Owen who was still working on the skeleton with a hole in the rib cage and now looked something up something on his computer, "Anything new?"

"Well, it wasn't a gun shot or a musket, so I'm looking up satanic rituals and stuff", he told her, "My God people were strange."

"They still are", Winnie raised a brow as she stared into the hole in the skeleton's chest, "What, did they just plunge their hand into people's chest and plucked out their hearts?"

"I don't know if that's possible", he tilted his head.

"Well, I'll leave you to it", she turned around.

"You have anything on the stapler?", he asked before she could leave.

"Not really", she shrugged. Acting had become easy, "But I'll keep you updated."

"Eh, don't worry about it."

Winnie breathed out a laugh and went back to work. Minutes later Tosh walked in and Winnie immediately closed all relevant files. However, Tosh didn't seem to pay her any attention and just looked at the device. When she was about to speak Jack peaked around the corner with a grin.

"So, I've just come from a really interesting conversation with a Detective Inspector Henderson."

Tosh looked up at him, "Right."

"Interesting because, firstly, the man had the biggest hands I've ever seen. And secondly, because of the story he told me about you saving a woman and her kid from being murdered by her ex-husband."

Winnie's eyes widened when she looked at Tosh who looked down timidly, "Yeah. No, I was going to tell you about that."

"So why didn't you?", his look said he knew better. He always did and they all knew that. But Tosh still tried to lie.

"I don't know", she shrugged timidly, "It wasn't a work thing, just a thing thing. Stuff happens all the time that's not pertinent to here."

"You do this all the time?", Jack raised a brow, "So you secretly fight crime, is that it, Tosh?"

"I didn't want it to look like I was showing off", she smiled shyly.

Winnie tilted her head doubtfully. Jack looked at her, narrowed his eyes and continued, "The guy they arrested, Henderson said you heard him muttering to himself as he was walking along, and that's what tipped you off."

"Mhmm", she pressed her lips together and nodded, "I couldn't really work out what he was saying at first, and then it was like, Jesus!"

"That's weird", Jack tilted his head and sat down next to Winnie, putting his arm across her lean and his foot against the table, "Because when I'm about to murder someone, I'm careful not to talk to myself about it while I'm in the street."

"No, sure. I mean, that's lesson one", Tosh now brushed past it, "I was wondering how you were getting on with this."

Jack looked at Winnie's laptop that was only showing the screensaver because she had closed anything important and then back up at Tosh, "It's ongoing."

"Are you going to dismantle it?"

"Like I said, it's ongoing."

They both noticed how Tosh touched the pendant on her necklace. She looked at them for a moment and then gasped. Winnie narrowed her eyes and tilted her head. Jack pushed out a breath.

"What? Have I got something on my face? Is it food?", he brushed a hand over his mouth.

"No. Sorry. I zoned out", Tosh quickly shook her head.