~9~

Song: Class of 2013, by: Mitski

~~~

"Dom! Dom! Little sister!"

He slams her door open and she immediately jumps off the couch in excitement, running to her brother. She overtakes him in a hug and shoves him into an aggressive headlock, "I did it! I'm magic! I got strangled by a tree today!"

"I'm magic too! I almost burned all my hair and clothes off!"

"That doesn't sound nearly as exciting as mine."

"Well, it is!"

Dom lets go and runs to the potted plant on the coffee table, she holds it snug in her arms. Her hands smoothly graze over the stems of the potted fern and they slowly start to grow in size, all the way down to Tomas' feet. A hearty laugh escaping his lips as he holds the long fern in his hands, in awe at his sister's abilities.

I knew she could do it.

He lets go of the fern and lets a flame light up his finger, like a match to a candle. He turns his hand allowing the flame to dance from finger to finger. "It's a cool party trick that Kailani taught me."

She puts the overgrown fern back on the table and holds onto his forearm. Dom couldn't help but stare at the beautiful blue-red flames interchanging fingers. She couldn't believe that eventually she would be able to do that soon too.

She'd be on the same level as her brother.

"I had such a good training session with Makani. I'm so sore though, carry me." She lets her body fall limp directly onto Tomas and he's quick to catch her before her torso can reach the ground. He's used to her antics.

"I'm not too tired, we spent most of our time just trying to get my fire to work consistently. It wasn't too physically draining, it's just hard to maintain. Especially in the cave we were in," Tomas explains to Dom. She's still in his arms, gravity having its way with her.

He drops her right onto the couch, where her body still drops onto the ground. Dom, now laying flat on the ground, looks to her brother sitting on the couch, "Do you ever think about how strong we could be?"

"Hm?" Tomas' head was comfortably laying on the couch's headrest and his eyes were closed. He did have an early start to the day and the fatigue was starting to set in.

"Like, we could be insane. I've seen some of the things Makani can do, and-and if you trained a lot and we got on the same level... nothing could stop us, y'know?"

Her fingers played with some of the extra fluff of the rug while she talked to her brother. They hadn't had a moment alone since they left home.

"I guess so. I hadn't really thought about it. I'm hungry."

"My kitchen has nothing. Unless you want a cup of sink water and disappointment."

Tomas groans as he stands up, going straight for Dom's kitchen. It truly was a marvel to look at. The white and gray accented cabinets along with the warm light above were very welcoming. All it was missing was actual food to fill up all the empty space with.

"We need to go to the store and get some food. I'm a growing boy after all," Tomas complains.

"You're a grown boy, don't-" Suddenly there is a knock on their door, which was strange because any of their friends would have simply walked in without knocking. Especially Kevin or Maeve.