~2~

Song: Mariposa, By: Peach Tree Rascals

~~~

Tuesday

Dom was not looking forward to walking into Mr. Rodriguez's class. She knew walking into the class meant having to sit through the entire class, and she knew that she didn't have Makani to keep her company this time around. And so she waited until the last second to walk in, paying no mind to the other person walking in mere seconds behind her.

Mr. Rodriguez begins speaking and acknowledging someone, but Dom pays no attention to his words. What could be so important that he has to announce it in the first 7 seconds since the bell has rung?

Instinctively walking to her usual seat, she let her bag hang off the backrest of her chair. Her body automatically slouches lazily, as if it's preparing for the fatigue to hit midway through class for her to doze off and think about, quite literally, anything else. Her peripheral vision catches someone sitting in what would usually be Makani's seat-the third seat from the left of the window in the third to last row of the classroom. Makani was picky like that.

Dom had to fight the urge to say that it was her friend's seat, but she knew seats weren't assigned in this class and Makani wasn't here, so there was no harm done-

"Dominique? Dominique?!"

Dom's head shakes out of her thoughts and she immediately looks up to the front of the class where Mr. Rodriguez is standing.

"Yeah- I'm sorry, yes?" She corrects herself. She didn't like being improper with adults. That's just how she was.

"Did you hear what I said? About our new student?" He remarked. She had not a clue. She was so busy worrying about Makani's neuroticism when it came to picking where to sit in class that she didn't pick up a single word that the teacher spoke.

"No, I didn't. Remind me?" She admitted.

He sighed and motioned to the boy sitting next to her in Makani's seat.

There sat a conventionally attractive boy with what would appear to be a bleached buzzcut under a black beanie. The hat was adorned with one small patch of a turtle near the nape of the neck, which only brought attention to the slivers of a tattoo under his crewneck and multiple ear piercings he silently boasted. He had rings pierced through his nose and lip as well as a curved barbell embellished in his left eyebrow. He had defined cheekbones and a slim look on his face and body. His full lips and nose only slightly too large for his face made him look slightly asymetrical. She was taken aback, but only for a split second.

This boy is trouble.

"I'm assigning you an extra assignment until the end of the semester. You are going to tutor our new student, Um. What was your name again, son?"

"It's Ray to my friends, but you can call me Ramone, Mr. Rodriguez." She could see the almost unnoticeable smirk rising on his face as he spoke. His voice was deep in register and held a slight accent as he spoke back.

Oh, this boy was trouble.

"Well, Dom is one of my best students. You should have no trouble picking up some Calculus with her outside of class. She should be able to get you up to speed, I know we do things a little differently here. Get acquainted and hopefully, I hear good things from both of you at the end of the semester."