36

Who was trying to kill her?

Haknyeon couldn't help wondering since the dinner at Lee's household yesterday and eventually let the biggest curiosity roam around his little head until midnight when he tried to get some sleep. When he woke this morning, he seemed to forget since the sleepiness had consumed him wholly, but seeing Nara at the shop had brought it back to him.

It just sounded so insane to him to think that someone was trying to kill her because Lee Nara was always the sweetest to everyone. As far as he remembered, Nara never mentioned anyone she disliked though Haknyeon could tell there must be some. But, it was her nature - not to talk about it.

However, the next thing that concerned the boy was: how she could look so calm in public like this, knowing that there had been a murder attempt on her before.

Sangyeon had asked her yesterday if there was any suspect she had in mind. And Nara was so cool about it when she replied 'I have to confirm it first.'

"Is there any time to confirm when someone is behind you?" The boy pondered as he trailed her movement around the shop.

Haknyeon was now looking at her picking up a dahlia from the vase with the widest grin across her face and bringing it to her nose to take a sniff. He wondered what was in her head right now because she looked so bright like the sun shining over the flowers.

But, the boy seemed to get the hint when another figure appeared behind her, stealing the dahlia away just to make Nara turn to see him. It made Haknyeon chuckle. Though it wasn't illegal for them to be in that position, it just felt extremely funny to him.

For, it reminded him of the day Hyunjae was guilty about loving Kim Dabin because he was worried that he would forget Lee Nara. Had only they found the truth earlier, the boy wondered what would the couple's life be like.

"Wanna be home today?" Hyunjae was heard asking, busily tucking her hair.

Nara was seen shrugged cutely as she looked up at her husband. "If Younghoon isn't coming home then I can make an excuse to his mother for being home late."

"I wish I could have you longer. You know we can do a lot of things together," Hyunjae replied and up until this, Haknyeon knew he had to stop eavesdropping.

"Gosh! I'm feeling nausea," he might have been too loud that the two then turned to see him, looking confused as if they just remembered that he existed. "Don't look at me like that!"

"Like what?" Hyunjae teased. "Like... you are jealous?"

The boy groaned. "No, I'm not!"

Nara then strode closer to the register, small giggles accompanying her little steps. Her expression was teasing which Haknyeon didn't like even a bit.

"What happened to..." Nara trailed off as if she was trying to recall a part of her memory. "What was her name again? The girl from your high school..."

Once again, Haknyeon groaned. This time it was accompanied by a cute furious stomp behind the register.

"Haknyeon had a girl?!" Hyunjae's loud voice then echoed as he approached the register as well. It was just insane to think that he'd never known about this story and now he did, it clicked - why the younger had always given him good love advice. "Where is she now? Is she pretty?"

"And why does it pique your interest to know whether she is pretty or not?" Nara was furious, her glare at her husband was as sharp as a butcher knife.

"I..." Hyunjae paused. Think, he instructed his head for a brilliant excuse as his eyes lingered everywhere around the shop. And as he noticed the dahlia in his hand, he seemed to get the answer. "I'm just curious because I know nobody can go beyond you."

"Lame..." Haknyeon cursed under his breath.

Nara obviously, did not look convinced but she should praise the effort. No matter how much she wanted to be childish over a petty thing, she should stop with the thought because Hyunjae obviously, had dealt more when he saw her with Younghoon.

"So..." Nara shifted the attention to the boy behind the counter who was pouting as he played with the plastic wrapper. "How did you two break up again?"

From a simple glance, Haknyeon looked sullen. He must have had a good time with the girl, and he must have loved her a lot. Otherwise, he wouldn't be looked like Hyunjae when he lost his wife.

"We broke up because our dates were always in restaurants."

"Huh?"

Haknyeon sighed. "She said she couldn't keep up with my flexible stomach and so she worried if she would gain weight. So we broke up."

Nara then mouthed a curse which did not go unnoticed by her husband, Hyunjae couldn't hold the laughter any longer and just burst into it loudly. He was just glad that Nara did it because he almost said it aloud. And if he did, there would be no good words to say.

It was then that a swoosh of air entered the shop as the entrance opened, and all three heads turned in the direction to greet the customer. But, before they could say anything, the person at the door greeted them first with a beam.

"It's been a very long time, right?" Mia waved towards them one by one which ended at the female. "Dabin!"

She rushed to the female and ended up hugging her, not knowing that Nara was feeling awkward. From a simple glance, the males could assume that she probably missed her best friend so much. Nonetheless, she couldn't say it because she was Kim Dabin at the time.

However, it was just incredibly funny to think that Mia was here before all the dramatic things happened and she came back after everything settled. She obviously, had missed the best part.

"I thought I was boring to you as a friend? You suddenly stopped coming," Nara said - as Dabin, while she served Mia a glass of juice they had in stock in the pantry.

"No! Don't say that," the latter waved it off. "I was so busy. I just came back from a business trip."

"I see..." Nara simply answered as she plopped on the seat across from Mia.

They were always in this position back in the office. Sitting together in the pantry, discussing works with instant coffees refilled every so often. They had always made a great duo, it must be tiring now for Mia to do it alone.

Or, did they have a replacement already? Nara thought as she crossed her arms.

"How's things lately? Hyunjae looks better," Mia pondered, recalling the male's positive energy. "Surprisingly?"

"Probably, he'd moved on."

"Who? Hyunjae?" Mia snorted. "Dabin, you probably don't know this but that guy would never move on from Nara."

Oh... As he should, Nara breathed out as she thought.

Somehow, it was fun to hear an opinion from someone else. That way, she knew the honest feelings her husband was having.

"Then Nara is at fault, don't you think?" She leaned forward, clasping her hands together on the table. "If she didn't leave, Hyunjae wouldn't be sad and you wouldn't lose a best friend."

There was something about Mia's expression that made Nara almost scrunch her face. It was undefinable - a bit calm and a bit furious.

"That's correct too, but I think maybe it's good for her to leave first," she remarked.

"Why is that?"

Mia sighed. "Nara was loved by everyone. Our coworkers were all looking up at her. But, you know, there must be some people that were not fond of the kindness."

"Oh..." She slumped against the chair.

"The world today is so scary, right?" Mia exhaled. "I feel bad for Hyunjae too but at one point I think, I'm glad Nara left first."

"So, she wouldn't have to deal with it..." Nara nodded. Unveiling something about herself somehow made her have mixed feelings.

But, how to dig more about this?