I Can Change Your World

~~

I walk down the beach and I come across a group of people, paramedics, officers all circling something. I get closer to see what they’re circling… a—a body? I run over to the group and push them away “What happened?!” I shout out.

“Jessica, he drowned” I hear Ike say. I look down at the body; I see a bloody rag over his face, if he drowned why is this hear? I tear it off. What?

Ross.

~~

“Ahh!” I shriek out as my body jolts me upright from my sweaty sleep. I thought it was that same dream, the same nightmare I’ve had a million times before, but it wasn’t him. It was Ross instead. I turn my feet off the bed and see Rydel is still asleep, it’s one o’ clock. I stand up and walk out of my room, I just have to check on him, make sure he is still there. I go down the hall and into Ross and Ryland’s room. When I hear the light snore I’m alleviated from my stress. He’s alive. I go over to his desk at the head of his bed. I sit down on top of it criss cross and watch over Ross like a lioness watches over the pride, looking out for trouble. Ross starts mumbling something; I can barely make it out.

“S—Sydney…” he starts mumbling softer and I can’t understand him “J—just come bac—k” suddenly he jumps up breathing heavily he grips onto his chest as he regulates his breathing. Once it seems like he’s calmed down I speak.

“Hey” I say bluntly. He snaps his head over to me and quickly shoots himself away from me, hitting his head on the wall.

“God—Jesus!” He whisper yells while clutching his head.

“Sorry” I say as guilty as a statue could be

“It’s fine…” He rubs his head “Why are you watching me?”

“Had to make sure you were still here” I reply matter-of-factly, still no emotion. He eyes me suspiciously and then stands up taking my hand. I send him a questioning look.

“You didn’t take your walk today, so we are going now” I think for a moment, I don’t want to go back to the beach, I HATE  the beach, but Ross, he looks so excited that he came up with this idea. Fine. I reluctantly stand up and we go to leave once Ross puts some clothes on.

As we walk to the beach Ross holds me close with his left arm around my shoulders and his right hand squeezing my right hand. I don’t speak, Ross talks a little bit, just about mindless stuff neither of us cares about, we both know that I know he is just making an effort to get me to talk, it doesn’t work. Eventually we reach the beach and once we sit down in our spot Ross nudges me slightly.

“What?” I ask soullessly

“What’s wrong” he says as more of a statement.

“Nothing” I lie. Everything.

“I believe that” his comment screams sarcasm.

“You should” I shoot his sarcasm right back

“Sydney” he shuffles closer to me and tries to get me to look at him, but I refuse “Sy—just—Syd—Sydney look at me!” he yells out and I finally do give into him and I look at him, but I’m scared, so I back up a ways. My eyes are wide and I pull my body away from Ross’ weakening grasp.” OH my god Sydney… no, no I’m sorry I didn’t mean it like that” he reaches for my shoulder but I quickly jump back from him in fear, breathing heavily.

“Sydney please don’t do this, I’m sorry. I swear, I’d never do anything to hurt you. EVER. Please you’re breaking my heart” He pleads. I rearrange the thoughts in my head, and remind myself that Ross is nothing like Derek. i walk towards Ross and he grabs my shoulder I flinch still slightly scared but then I melt into his embrace. We hold each other silently for a few minutes until Ross breaks the silence.