No Good Way For This To End

“Where’s Rydel at?” I ask the boys as we load into the van.

“While you and Ross were getting a little too comfortable over there some guy named Eric walked up and they left… maybe like a date or something.”

“Eric! Oh yay! Are they boyfriend and girlfriend now? Oh no no, she definitely would’ve told me, Ahhh! I can’t wait till they are official!” I squeal out like the teenage girl I am.

~

We hop out of the car and unpack all the instruments and place them in the garage for now. Everyone starts heading in.

“I’m gunna go off for my walk now guys”

“Ok”

“Cool”

“See you soon”

“Can I come with?” Ross asks hopefully. I look over to him.

“Yeah sure come on!” I say convincingly.

“Really?!”

“No! Ross how many times must I say it?”

“Only about a thousand more” He smirks.

“Walk, me time. Not Ross time.” I say as if I had come before Christ, and with that I walk off on my route. Once I arrive in the beach parking lot I take off my converse so I don’t ruin them. I step into the sand and stand there for a second feeling the sand beneath my toes. I take in a deep breath from my nose and I exhale through my mouth.

“Ahhh” I say relaxed.

I roll up my jeans to my knees and skip down to the shoreline. There is usually no one at the beach but I always look around me before I do this just to make sure. Once I see that there is no one insight I start splashing around in the water and kicking at it like a six year old. Youth rejuvenated. This is also a small reason I never want Ross to come. Even though he’d probably join me. I splash around for a while, making sure to not splash any on my shoes that lie in my hand, but eventually I get out and begin walking the shore of the beach.

The sun is just now beginning to set. The sharp orange color illuminates the sky, as I see far ahead of me a couple. They must not see me because they are talking… it actually looks like they are arguing. I come into around 20 yards from them and they still haven’t noticed me. Then I see a familiar stance, the girl goes down to her knees and forms an ‘X’ with her arms, presenting the palms of her hands to the boy who I now see has his hand raised above his head.

“NO!!!!” I shriek out at the top of my lungs, bursting my own eardrum “You can’t do that! I won’t let you!” I begin moving toward them “YOU GET AWAY FROM HER!” I take into a sprint, faster than ever before, and I throw my entire body weight at the boy, knocking him down. I turn and look at the girl, the bright orange sun shines perfectly on her to where I can see those unmistakably platinum blonde bangs behind a barrier of her own arms, still trembling.

“Ry—Rydel?” I whisper. Her head jolts up, tears streaking through her white-washed face. Wait… that means… Eric. I slowly turn my head and look at the boy whom I knocked the wind out of; he struggles to find his breath. First I notice the pitch black hair, then I see the freckles, and I lose it. I swiftly turn. “RYDEL!” I seize her arm before she has a chance to respond and I run for the street, I glance behind us and notice the shadowy figure is getting up so I take a quick turn around a corner, after that I take a few more, trying anything to lose him, like I’ve tried so many times before. I finally feel we have reached an area where he won’t catch up to us and I take Rydel behind a tree and I whisper as quietly as I can. “Does he know where you live?”