Lights Up My Heart

Back and forth.

He—he’s gone? Everything starts happening instantaneously; Rydel buries herself in Ryland’s arms and begins sobbing. Rocky falls to his knees engulfing his head in his hands, and Riker just stands there stoically. I’m not sure what he’s doing, trying to be strong for his younger siblings? I’m not that kind of strong. I tried bottling up my feelings like that before and it never really worked out, but like I said before, I am headstrong and I always try the impossible.

“Did someone call 911?” I say hurriedly looking back and forth trying to think of a game plan.

“I did” Riker says emotionlessly “They are on their way” I hear Riker’s response but I just barely register it. Impulse has taken over me again, I push the lifeguard out of the way, apparently he’s no help. I fall down to my knees beside Ross’ cold body and I just start pounding on his chest steadily.

“God Damnit Ross!” I yell at his corpse while distributing compressions. “Come back…. Please… Just come back” I whisper before giving two breaths. After the second breath I collapse on his chest, sobbing and whispering “But Ross… I—I Love you” I close my eyes and lay there for what feels like an eternity, I begin to grow drowsy to the sound of ‘Lub-dub Lub-dub Lub-dub’ it’s mysteriously soothing right now.

“Suddenly the pouring rain stops and everyone is quiet until I hear someone hacking next to me. In annoyance I raise my head to find the culprit—Ross. He spit out the water from his lungs. I sit back on my heels, staring in disbelief. Ross coughs up a little more water and finally looks up to all of us. The clouds in the sky disperse, revealing that same sunny sky from earlier today.

“What happened?” Ross asks smiling. When no one gives him an answer he turns to me and shoots over a questioning look. A tear escapes my eye as I tackle Ross to the sand, hugging him.

*Ross POV*

As I firmly hug Sydney I look over to my siblings giving them a ‘What the hell?’ face, all of their jaws are hanging open except Riker’s, he is staring off at the water, completely silent. “What’s wrong?” I add sensing the tension, I must’ve like passed out for a second or something, because my head hurts and I can’t remember a thing. Sydney pulls back from me and stares into my eyes with her tear filled ones.

“Yo—you…” She pauses for a moment bowing her head and clutching at her heart “…died” she begins crying again. My eyes expand, what in the hell is she talking about? She’s joking right? I couldn’t have died… I’m right here… and perfectly alive.

“Stop playing tricks on me, why is everyone freaked out?”

“SHETOLD YOU!” Rocky lashes out angrily. “You were dead! Just laying there colder than I’ve ever seen! Dead and she brought you back!” he yells pointing at Sydney who has reburied herself in my chest. I’m blown away, one by Rocky screaming at me, two that I DIED, and three, perhaps the most perplexing of all, Rocky just screamed at me right after I came back from the dead.

“What are you yelling at me for?! I didn’t die on purpose!” I say defensively.

“You don’t understand Ross! I was terrified!” he yells while walking away.

“Where are you going?!” I call out

“Home!” I sigh at his response and stand up, Sydney does the same. I turn to Rydel and Ryland.

“I—“ Rydel begins but finishes with a lung collapsing hug instead. I just chuckle and hug her back, she then runs after Rocky. Ry walks up to me and I hold out my hand, he grasps it and pulls me into a one armed hug.