I Start Acting Crazy

I jolt up from my spot on the floor. A hot sweat engulfing me, I’m breathing deeper than I ever have before. It’s dark wherever I am. Wait dark, am I locked up in that room? It’s hard to remember, it’s almost like it never happened.

“Sydney? Sydney what’s wrong?” I faintly hear a voice say.

“Who are you? Where are you? Where am I?” I stutter out panickingly looking back and forth through the darkness.

“Sydney calm down! It’s just me” A light flashes on in front of me, revealing the mystery voice. Before me I see Ross holding onto a dangling light switch.

“Ahhh!” I shriek out as I throw myself into the corner of this small room. I hide my face in my knees and hold my hands up in defense, “Please Ross don’t! I can’t handle it! I CAN’T!” I scream out.

“What? Sydney stop going crazy! You’re scaring me! I’m not going to do anything!”

*Ross POV*

I grab a hold of her hands and as I feel the spark Sydney lifts her head from her lap. She cautiously looks around; she seems to be remembering where we are. I can feel my heart thumping from my chest.

“W—Wait…Wh—Wha—What? It wasn’t real? It was just a dream?” She stammers, calming her breathing patterns.

“More like a nightmare” I add, still worried.

“Oh Ross!” She lunges at me and casts her arms around my neck. I tighten my arms around her waist. Sydney starts to sob into the crook of my neck. I can’t handle it whenever Sydney cries. I feel as if I get a little crazier every time it happens. I lean back and push her chin up to catch her eye.

“I thought you said no more crying?” I ask. Her eyes widen a little bit but then quickly shrink back down.

“I said no more tears wasted on Derek, but… this is you” What? What did I do?

“Huh?”

“My nightmare, it was about you.” I nod my head, frightened of what she might say next. “You beat me…” My heart cracks in half. She thought that was real when she woke up. She was afraid of me. Deathly afraid. I pull her into one of the most sincere hugs I’ve given.

“Sydney I need you to know something”

“What?”

“I’d rather die slowly and painfully than ever do anything like that.” I say straight-faced and serious.

“STOP, I can’t bear to imagine that. If it ever came down to those two choices I’d rather you do the second” I pull back and look in her eyes.

“It would never come down to those two choices, because the second would never be a choice for me.” We sit in silence for a few minutes until Sydney foolishly breaks it.

“I’d rather Derek attack me that to ever have that dream again…” She looks at the ground. I’m bewildered.

“Sydney. You never think like that again. EVER.”

“No Ross… that’s how I feel. I’d rather go back to that night. That night where I almost died, than to ever even have to imagine you doing that to me.” She stands up and walks out of the attic. I curl up in a ball and cry. Sydney can’t be thinking like this. It will lead to bad things

*Sydney POV*

I open the door from the attic to the hallway, and just as I open it I find Rocky reaching for the same handle.

“May I help you?” I say sarcastically.

“I just, I heard someone scream earlier so I was coming to check it out”