FORTNIGHT

Remus breathed heavily as he scanned the wooded area in front of him. According to the Map, Mads wasn't too far in there, he should be able to see her. Or at least hear her. A branch snapped somewhere and Remus glanced behind him to make sure he was alone before taking a few steps into the cool, dark Forest.

The entire day had been confusing and that was saying something. Mads had been pissy and closed off, Padfoot had almost cost them the whole match, and now Maddie was running away. Literally. Neither of them had explained what happened, granted Padfoot was a bit busy for the past few hours but still. And now he was out in the Forest looking for Mads. On top of all that, Padfoot's psychotic cousin was involved.

Today was supposed to be a nice day, a normal day, and now -

A white flash came from the left and Remus knew.

She was gone.

——-

No, no, no, no, no.

How could I be here?

Stumbling up to the back porch door, wide open like I'd left it months ago, I followed Tux inside to see it exactly as I'd left it. All the lights off except the one in the living room, my jacket on the back of one of the kitchen chairs, and a cup I'd left on the table last night. That was impossible. I'd been gone months and - and -

Spotting my phone on the counter, I snatched it up and read the screen.

Saturday, September 23rd

9:15 am

15 minutes. 15 minutes.

I could remember blearily looking at the time that morning a few months ago, pissed that Tux had woken me up at 9am since it was a Saturday and all I'd wanted was to sleep a little more especially since I'd had the house to myself.

Ping. Ping.

Emmy: I'm never drinkin agin.

Emmy: Wanna get breakfast at the diner? Todd'll drive.

Breakfast. With Emmy. My Emmy. Swallowing, I stared at my phone in shock. I couldn't - I couldn't be here. Not when -

Sirius.

A cold feeling washed over me, spreading out from my chest and chilling me to my bones. Bellatrix's parting words to me still echoed in my ears.

"My Lord has already promised me that I get to kill my blood traitor cousin, little Halfblood. I'll make sure you have a front row seat and then I'll slaughter your traitor cousin, too. Won't that be fun?"

My fingers flew across the touch screen, as if I hadn't spent the last few months without my cell.

Mads: Honestly, I'll puke if I eat anything. I'll text you when I can move without my stomach trying to escape through my throat.

Holding my breath, I waited as three dots pulsed in the text box. Please, let her buy it. Please.

Ping.

Emmy: Gross. FINE, I'll call you later if you're still alive. Love you.

I exhaled in relief, thankful that any mention of vomit made Emmy squeamish. Biting my lip, I glanced at the top right corner of the screen.

9:17 am.

Two minutes. How long would I be gone there if I was here for two minutes?

I already knew the answer. Too long.