NEXT TO ME

Wednesdays were becoming my favorite days. At least during the week. We had a late start, Care of Magical Creatures, Muggle Studies, and then we were done. At least Sirius and I were. I was enjoying Muggle Studies way more than I thought I would. It was interesting to see how wizards saw ordinary muggle things plus everything we were learning was 40 years old for me. It was wild to say the least.

Sirius and I were on the Quidditch Pitch. Alice, Marlene, and Peter were reading their futures in Divination while Lily, Remus, and James were in Ancient Runes. I was still really surprised James was in it.

"Really?" The shock clear in my tone.

"Really. Prongs started the class because of Lily, sure but once he was paying attention, he really liked it. Now he's doing better than Remus and Lily." Sirius shook his head in disbelief. "Nutter."

"Takes one to know one." I winked. He rolled his eyes then got down to business.

"Ok, today you'll be in front -"

"You really should buy me dinner first." He raised one eyebrow at my interruption. I put my hands up in surrender. "Fine, fine, shutting up."

"So you can try flying for yourself. If you get out of control, I can correct you so you don't fling yourself off the broom."

I squinted at him in mock anger. "You sound like that's going to happen."

"It could." He shrugged with a smirk. "You're not the most graceful person."

I shoved his shoulder lightly, my mouth hanging open. "Asshole."

He laughed, swinging his leg over the hovering broom. I hopped on infront of him. Sirius leaned closer so his chest was pressed to my back and he could see over my shoulder. "Ok, lean back a bit..."

I leaned into him and the broom began rising. In a slight panic, I leaned forward to balance myself out. The broom hovered a few feet off the ground. Breathing deeply, I tried again and leaned back into Sirius. We rose and once we were about 40 feet in the air, I stopped and balanced myself again. "Now, what?"

"Lean to the left or right like I did the other day." It was slightly hard to concentrate with him right there. I took another deep breath to steady myself then leaned towards the right. The broom turned with me and we cruised forward and to the right before I leaned back and stopped us. "See? It's just about knowing where you want to go."

"I don't know how you guys do this and throw balls at each other." I shook my head in disbelief.

"It's like using your wand. After a while, it becomes second nature. How about we try to fly over the lake?" He pointed towards the water.

I leaned that way and we flew to it. Sirius spent the next hour pointing towards different places on the grounds that I flew us towards. It became easier the longer I did it and I felt more relaxed. That is until he had me try going faster.

"Woah!" Sirius wrapped his hand around my hand holding the broom and pulled up sharply as well as pulling my body up so I wasn't leaning so heavily on the broom. We pulled up only a few feet from the ground and I gasped at the abrupt stop. "Love, try leaning just a little bit forward next time."