DYSFUNCTIONAL

I heaved the last shovel of hay into the wheelbarrow then took a moment to catch my breath. I was so sore from yesterday and this wasn't helping. I'd managed to catch Professor Quirrell after Charms and he'd luckily accepted my self-imposed detention.

"I do hope Mr. Black deserved the injury, Ms. Rose." He'd said dryly. "I'll be sorely disappointed in you if it was uncalled for."

I had smiled sweetly, doing my best to convey my gratitude at no additional detentions as well as confirm my justification in punching Sirius. "Very deserved, Professor. The inappropriateness of it is too insulting to repeat in front of you."

He raised one eyebrow at my answer but given that he'd had four years of Sirius before this, I'm pretty sure he believed me. "Very well, Ms. Rose. Please refrain from assaulting any students though until after my class."

"Yes, sir."

I really was grateful though. Jamie was right about running myself into the ground. Between classes, homework, 'training', the drama of my shitshow of a life, and now detention, I was surprised I was functioning at all. I didn't regr- "Fuck."

My head whipped around in surprise to see a large feathered hippogriff inches from me. Rubbing my shoulder, I gave Buckbeak a wide eyed once over. I guess the whole bowing thing only mattered if they didn't know you. Buckbeak nudged me in the shoulder with his beak again, squawking lightly.

"Sorry, bud. No treats on me." I said to him, petting the side of his head. Lord, he was massive. My fingers ran through the silky soft gray and white feathers. He moved a bit closer to me, pushing his neck into my palm. Using my fingernails, I gave him a good scratch. Smiling softly, I gave one last pet then got back to work.

Lifting the wheelbarrow, I rolled it outside into the twilight. Buckbeak trotted along behind me like a puppy. As I pushed the handles of the wheelbarrow to dump the contents into the pile, his head appeared under my right arm. Little shit was nosing around looking for treats. Shaking my head, I used my left hand to move his giant head. Grudgingly, he let me and I laughed at the put out look he gave me. "I'll ask Kettleburn where he keeps them, ok?"

Buckbeak squawked in response, seemingly satisfied with my compromise. Rustling off in the distance captured both of our attentions. Two feathered heads peaked out from bushes a few yards away. With one more nudge again my shoulder, Buckbeak left me to join his friends.

Speaking of friends, I should probably check on mine before heading to training. A wave of exhaustion went through me just thinking about heading back to the Tower. I smelled awful though so I trekked back towards the dorms to rinse off, ignoring my aching muscles.

—-

James followed his cousin across the common room. He'd seen her trying to slip out quietly but the second her foot had hit the bottom stair, he'd been up and out of his seat to catch her. And proceeded to try and convince her to stay. Currently, they were blocking the portrait hole and James did his best to sway her. Despite the obvious hippogriff in the room who was on the couch. "Mads, I know you two aren't in a good place -"

"That's putting it lightly." She muttered under her breath.

"But it's his birthday. Just bail on McGonagall and come hang out with us." James pleaded with her. She wouldn't admit it but she needed to take a moment to wind down, she was strung tighter than Filch on April Fools' Day. "You don't even have to talk to him."