EVERYTHING AT ONCE

Scratching out a few words, I rewrote my last sentence in my transfiguration essay. Lily and I worked silently, occasionally asking each other a question about the homework. A body sitting down on my left jolted me out of my zone. I found Jamie next to me, pouring himself a cup of coffee. Glancing around, I saw Sirius at the Hall entrance talking to Peter. His stance was taunt, slightly aggressive and I wondered what they were discussing. Remus had walked around them and was taking his seat next to Lily. Turning back to Jamie, I grabbed the carafe of coffee and poured myself a new cup. "How was practice?"

Jamie shrugged nonchalantly, shoving a piece of bacon in his mouth. "Good. No one jinxed any brooms or anything, so a normal practice."

Lily shook her head down at her homework as Remus sighed disappointingly. "Too soon, Prongs."

I felt Sirius take his seat next to me and when I turned, he was glaring at his plate. Tilting my head in confusion, I nudged him lightly. "What did the plate do? Insult your hair?"

He glanced quickly at me then reached for the eggs. "It's nothing, love."

Frowning slightly, my eyes shot over to Peter who was pointedly not looking in my direction. Hmm. I turned my attention back to my homework, rereading what I had written to figure out what I had been writing before James had sat down. Taking a sip of coffee, I continued my essay.

It was hard to concentrate with Sirius next to me though. The boys were discussing Kettleburn's class yesterday and every single time Sirius' arm brushed mine, I lost my train of thought. After staring at my essay for ten minutes without writing a single word, I finally gave up.

We finished breakfast and headed to potions. Sirius made it a point to walk next to James ahead of the group, Remus taking Sirius' normal spot next to me. I raised an eyebrow at the taller boy who sighed. "He'll tell you later. It's nothing you can help with, if it makes you feel any better."

"It doesn't." It was frustrating that the boys weren't sharing whatever it was that they all knew. It was about me, I wasn't stupid. "Does it have to do with yesterday?"

Remus glanced at the two boys ahead before meeting my eyes. "Yes but...I really think Sirius should tell you."

Shaking my head, we entered Potions and I went straight to my seat. Severus' head shot up as I placed my bag down and flopped into the chair. He gave me a once over then turned his attention back to his potions book. Squinting slightly, I poked him with my quill. "What was that?"

"What was what?" He purposely kept his attention on his book.

"That look." I gave him a skeptical one of my own. Did he know something about yesterday? Slughorn got started on the lesson so I dropped my voice. "You seem surprised to see me in one piece."

His head whipped around so fast that his hair actually swung. I raised an eyebrow challengingly at him. Severus struggled with his words for a few moments. "I - uh - you -"

"Sirius saved me from becoming a pancake for your information." I muttered, crossing my arms over my chest. Turning my head, I caught Sirius turning his head slightly to check on me. I gave him a small smile that he returned but it looked forced. My eyebrows narrowed in frustration. I wish he'd told me before class. I hated not knowing who almost murdered me yesterday. "Any chance you'd know anything about that?"