3. Bound by business

Next Day

The morning after the party, Taehyung joined his parents at the breakfast table. As they began to eat, his mother broached the topic of his dating life here after coming back from Paris, her tone laced with curiosity.

Mrs Kim: "So, Taehyung, have you been seeing anyone special lately?"

Taehyung paused, momentarily caught off guard by the directness of his mother's question. He cleared his throat before responding.

Taehyung: "Well, Mom, you know how busy I've been with work. I haven't had much time for dating."

Mrs. Kim: "But you're 26 years old now, Taehyung. It's important to think about settling down and starting a family someday."

She knew that it was her only chance to settle him in the country so that he would not again go back to Paris. Paris was like a second home to him. His parents wanted to marry him as soon as possible so that with such responsibilities, he could settle his life in Seoul permanently.

Taehyung nodded, taking in his mother's words with a sense of resignation. The pressure to find a partner and settle himself in life weighed heavily on his shoulders, a constant reminder of the expectations placed upon him as the son of a prominent businessman.

Mr. Kim interrupted, his tone was businesslike as he shifted the conversation.

Mr. Kim: "Speaking of business, I had a conversation with Mr. Han last night about a potential collaboration between Kim Corporations and Han Enterprises. It could be a lucrative opportunity for both parties."

Taehyung got interested at the mention of a new business venture, his mind momentarily distracted from thoughts of romance.

Taehyung: "That sounds promising, Dad. What kind of collaboration are we talking about?"

Mr Kim: "We're considering a business deal of a new hotel venture as well as entering the jewelry market, Taehyung. Han Enterprises has extensive experience in the industry, and I believe our partnership could lead to significant growth for both companies."

Taehyung nodded, impressed by the scope of his father's vision. The prospect of expanding into a new market ignited a spark of excitement within him, a reminder of the limitless possibilities that lay ahead.

Before Taehyung could dwell further on the business proposal, his mother interrupted once again, her tone conspiratorial as she leaned in closer to him.

Mrs. Kim: "And speaking of partnerships, Taehyung, I couldn't help but notice how well you and Yena got along last night."

Taehyung's eyebrows shot up in surprise at his mother's unexpected segue. He glanced at his parents, searching for any hint of amusement or mischief in their expressions.

Taehyung: "Yena? What do you mean, Mom?"

Mrs. Kim: "Well, she's a lovely young woman, and she comes from a good family. I think the two of you would make a great match."

Taehyung's mind raced as he processed his mother's words. The idea of pursuing a relationship with Yena hadn't crossed his mind before, moreover, he was confused by sudden events; from mentioning his dating life to their new partnership with Han's to the discussion about their daughter Yena. He was trying to connect the dots of all the events happening at the same time.

After finishing breakfast, Taehyung made a move to leave for his office, but his mother's words stopped him in his tracks. She mentioned a family dinner today with the Han family, further cementing Taehyung's suspicions about her intentions.

Taehyung turned to his mother, a hint of frustration in his voice as he addressed her.

Taehyung: "Mom, I appreciate your efforts, but you know how busy I am with work. I don't have the time to focus on settling down right now, especially with someone I barely know."