Chapter 8

⚜️⚜️⚜️
They had arrived in front of the palace gates where a long line of carriages had been stopped for a check. Loui leaned over to whisper something to Alora's ear. He was seated beside her on her right. "Remember I am your family's personal butler.... The Luthiers from London. Anyone who asks for your name then it is.... "Alora Luthiers. Who are the Luthiers anyway?" She cut in Loui's speech. He sat upright before leaning his head on the wooden wall of the carriage. "Well that family is the most influential families among all families present in the many kingdoms. Most of them have been dispersed in other kingdoms for many years doing various businesses that earned them a lot of fame.  Unfortunately they are no Luthiers in this kingdom thus you may use this chance to get in the palace with almost all honour you need", he said with a chuckle at his last sentence.  Alora looked at him in awe.

          He really did his research, no wonder even the king wanted him to be the crown prince at a very young age. He really has it in him... the intelligence, the sharpness and the power. He sure would make a great king.

Soon their turn came and a palace guard came towards the carriage and shouted, "Card!" and Loui stepped out through the cover and got down the carriage. "Name", the palace guard said fixing his gaze on Loui's eyes as if to check the similarity of someone he knew. "Miss Luthiers and I her family's butler have come to witness the masquerade ball". The guard checked the guest list and ushered them to proceed with entering the palace.
......
As the carriage came to a halt at the base of stony staircase, she realised that ahead was a crowd of people waiting to see those people who entered. Loui got out of the carriage and waited for Alora to get down as she placed her hand onto his elegantly and he helped her down. "I don't remember you being the elegant sort of person before", he complimented her. "Well might as well put on the elegant facade since my 'surname' suggests so", she said as they started going up the stony stairs.
.......

"Who is that beauty?" "She is a high ranking lady most probably!" "And what about that dashing guy beside her... he is too handsome for a butler!" "If only we could be able to see their faces behind those masks!" "Well it's called a masquerade ball for a reason, right?" All of these came when the crowd spotted Alora hand in hand with Loui, walking gracefully.... Too gracefully fit for high ranking officials. As they walked past them Alora caught some few snide comments about her.
"Hmph! Who does she think she is? If she thinks she would win the crown prince's heart then she is wrong!" "What shall you do about it?" "Wait and see!"
                    Are these ladies delusional? The Crown Prince is walking beside me.... Who else would be a crown prince!?
......

"Alora", Loui called her out of her thoughts, "I shall meet you some time later". "Where are you going? You are not leaving me alone in this hall, are you?" Alora asked as she surveyed the well decorated hall, with dim lights such that only eyes were seen hanging in faceless masks. "How can I get you in this kind of situation? I can't even figure out who is who! What if I get lost? I don't even know this palace to begin with let alone it's largeness", Alora said clutching Loui's hand in desperation. Chuckling, Loui held Alora's hands and said, "I am not going anywhere far from here, I am going to search for information about.... Whatever has been going on in the palace", he moved closer to her and whispered, "Be careful in the meantime". And with that he left her standing at the entrance of the masquerade hall.
                 'Be careful in the meantime' she mimicked, 'Who does he think he is fooling? He is a mutant, of course he could sense danger lurching forward. But if he knows couldn't he just stay and protect me!?

She lamented as she walked forward to some grand seats decorated in white cloth and yellow flowers. She sat in one of them looking at the people who were busy discussing potential beneficial issues.
.......
                                                                ⚜️⚜️⚜️
Upstairs, in the palace's first floor
A lady around the age of of eighteen, in a dark blue ball gown designed in expensive fabric, walked towards a group of girls, all with their masks on. "That lavender wench...", she pointed at Alora, "I want to tarnish her reputation. Whether she is a beautiful maiden or whoever she is underneath that lavender mask, I should be the one marrying his highness, Crown Prince Harry! Do whatever you want to her as long as you embarrass her!" The girls curtsied and set out to Alora's seat.....
                                                                 ⚜️⚜️⚜️
......
Loui's POV
He left Alora at the entrance. He could've stayed with her after feeling that she could face danger, but he trusted Alora's instincts, so he left her a warning. He ventured forward in the dark hall to a throne stage on the lower right of the King's throne. He knew what he would see afterwards but he wanted to make sure even if it may expose him somehow. And very true enough he saw a crowd of high ranking officials' sons surrounding a person, a guy to be specific, blondie with blue eyes, quite charming in reality since he had no mask on, wearing a maroon royal robe, sitting on a throne chair lazily with his feet on the armrest. He was being praised by his subjects around him. Loui's sudden appearance made the person look at him. And almost immediately the guy kept his feet down, staring at Loui's dark eyes. "Your highness, what is the matter?" The people around saw the guy's eyes shift as if seeing a ghost. They looked in his direction and met Loui standing not far away from them but giving off an intimidating aura. "Hey don't you have any respect for the entitled Crown Prince!? Are you courting death?"