chapter 11 - what am i feeling?

WINNIE POV
° ° °

I parked the car in the driveway, and unlocked the doors. Auggie got out, and I stayed behind and grabbed the cooler with the fish inside it. I opened the lid, peeking at the trout. It looked fine.

I lifted it out of the trunk and took it inside Auggie's house. It smelled like cleaning supplies. I assumed his mom had cleaned the house, because when I walked in it was spotless.

"Where's your mom?" I ask.

"Probably somewhere in the house." He paused. "Mommm?"

She yelled that she was in the kitchen, so I followed Auggie there. It looked like she had just prepared a single-serving meal for herself.

"Hi Ms. Orlov! How are you?" I greeted her cheerfully, and she smiled at me.

"I'm doing good. You're an optimistic young man, you know. It's always good to look on the bright side." She comments. I grin at her, and then she glances at the cooler.

"Did you boys catch anything? We can cook it! We have to check for parasites first though, nobody likes to be sick." She smiled at us, and stood up. I let her open the cooler and grab the trout.

I knew nothing about fish, so I just awkwardly stood to the side. Ms. Orlov grabbed a knife, and then we went into the backyard where a grill was. She cut into the fish, descaling it and slicing it into pieces.

She inspected the trout carefully with a flashlight, and confirmed it was safe to eat. "Okay. Winnie, do you wanna help?"

I shake my head hesitantly. "No .. I don't know how to. But uh, thanks for the offer .." I reply.

"Okay. Auggie, can you get some spices then?" She begins listing what she wants. Auggie goes back into the house and comes out with a handful of bottles and small measuring cups.

I sit down on one of the rocking chairs they had, and pushed against the floor. I gazed at Auggie. I can't explain what he makes it feel. I feel nervous around him. I genuinely can't explain it.

He just gives me a certain feeling. It makes my body temperature rise, and my heart beat faster. It was like .. no. It wasn't like that. At all.

I was so lost in thought, I didn't realize they had just taken the trout out of the grill. It was done, but obviously scorching hot.

"Winnie? Would you like any?" Ms. Orlov asks me. I turn to face her, nodding.

"Yeah, I'd like some. Please." I add. I get off the rocking chair and follow the two inside. They sit down around the dinner table, and I sit across them.

Auggie's mom hands me a plate, utensils, and a glass of ice water. She does the same for Auggie. I thank her, picking up my fork and knife and cutting into the trout.

I eat as politely as I can. This wasn't my house, and I was a guest. I glance at Auggie, and we lock eyes. I immediately focus my gaze back on my plate, and pick at my trout.

° ° °

Ms. Orlov had allowed me to stay over for the night, with the permission of my parents. I had briefly walked right over to my house and grabbed some pajamas, my toothbrush, and my hairbrush.

I went back into their house and up the stairs. I go into the bathroom across Auggie's room, locking the door and changing into my pajamas. I grabbed Auggie's tube of toothpaste, and used that. Not like he would care.

I brush my teeth, clean my toothbrush, and set it down on the counter. I put my hairbrush right next to it, and exit the bathroom.

I go to Auggie's room, knocking on the door.

"Come in." He says nonchalantly. I open the door, and he's sitting on his bed. Auggie smiles at me, and I return the friendly gesture. I glance around for somewhere to sit. My gaze lands on a bean bag, so I decide to sit down there.

"Auggie, do you want me to run back to my house and get a sleep bag for myself?" I ask him.

"What, you can't sleep with your best friend? You got a crush on me? Im kidding, Winnie. I know you don't." He teases.

I widen my eyes. "W..what? Oh, yeah. I don't like you, trust me." I must've flushed red. Why was I reacting like this? I DO NOT like boys. Ever. I won't ever like boys.

Auggie raises a brow at me. "You can get a sleeping bag if you want, but I don't mind if you sleep with me!" He says, quite cheerfully too. Auggie was more of a stoic person, so it was a bit unusual he sounded so happy about the idea.

I nod. "Okay. I guess I will." Auggie suggests at watching a movie, and I agree. He wanted to watch a horror movie, but I wasn't gonna allow him. I hate horror movies.

"Come onnn! Horror movies aren't that scary, Winnie. You're being a wuss." Auggie whines.

"No, they are scary! Why don't we watch something else? I'm sure we can agree on something." Eventually he had managed to convince me to watch horror, after much pleading.

"Child's Play is good, I promise! It's perfect for people new to horror. It's not that scary!" He tells me. Auggie was completely wrong.

Maybe I am a bit of a wuss, but it was scary! I jumped at some parts. I think I even yelped at at one of them. Auggie laughed at me every time I did.

I shifted uncomfortably in the bean bag. It wasn't very comfortable, and I didn't want to stay here. "Uhm.. Auggie, can I sit up there with you?" I ask nervously.

He nods. "Yeah! Of course. Where else will you sleep anyway?"

I don't respond. I get off of the bean bag and awkwardly climb into the bed besides him. I don't know why I felt so nervous. He's just my friend. My best friend. My childhood friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

I felt really warm. I was blushing. Realizing I was, I turn away from Auggie and sink lower into the bed. The credits began to roll, and it was getting late. It was 1am now.

"Should we go to sleep?" I ask.

"Yeah." Auggie replies. "Goodnight, Winnie."

"Nighty night."

(hey sorry for taking forever to make this chapter, its a little over 1000 words so i hope its worth it lol, i wonder when theyll kiss, i definitely dont know🥺)