Press Release No 13

• Dedicated to To those celebrating Easter.

' Bun is now a rock cake ' (Sunday Times 31/03/13 -Weird and wonderful)

****

Nancy Titman, a 91 year old woman from Lincolnshire ( England ), is pictured proudly holding what may be the world's oldest Hot Cross Bun.  This bun is 192 years old, a family heirloom passed through 5 generations, and is traditionally unveiled to be the centre-piece of the family's Easter celebration. Nancy's ancestors were bakers and this Bun was baked by her ancient relative, William Skinner in 1821, the year Napoleon Bonaparte died..  The Hot Cross Bun is a long Easter tradition in the UK, the cross symbolising the crucifixion.  The Bun is now like a fossil, the currants have disintegrated but it still retains its shape and according to Nancy ' still smells like a Hot Cross Bun '. The bun is now hard as rock. It is claimed that Nancy's ancestors believed that any bun baked on a Good Friday would not go mouldy. This heirloom seems to be evidence of their belief.

****

A lovely tale for Easter, a family tradition that is not based around consumerism and eating chocolate eggs.  Although I am in no way religious I applaud Nancy for continuing to remember her family ancestors in upholding their faith with this traditional celebration, may the future generations of her family continue to do so.

****

Nancy's family were bakers, they loved hot cross buns,

They baked them at Easter, oh they had such fun

They believed that buns baked on Good Friday

Were special, they were buns set apart,

Nancy has still got one from the days of Bonaparte,

An uplifting tale to warm the cockles of your heart.

Bravo Nancy Titman.

****

Written by Vernicho ( 31 March 2013 )  Copyright ( All Rights Reserved )