Press Release No 12

• Dedicated to To Under-16's in Barnsley.

' Night-curfew for under-16's to curb trouble in town centre'   ( The Times 30/03/13 )

Barnsley ( Yorkshire, England ) is the latest town to introduce a curfew for children under-16. The curfew is set to be between 9pm and 6am. Supposedly to prevent anti-social behaviour. Young people not accompanied by an adult will be rounded up and sent home. Anyone refusing will be deemed to have committed a criminal offence.

****

What a f*cking liberty, or rather what an assault on personal liberty.  This trend of towns and cities demonising young people and restricting their movement is getting way out of hand. Why do we demonise all young people for the actions of a few individuals?  Anti-social behaviour results mainly from boredom and lack of opportunities to do something fun and constructive.  Do we really want to criminalise young people for simply walking down the street?  This type of restriction of civil liberty is more in keeping with an autocratic dictatorship rather than a country that claims to be an enlightened democracy. It is not and never has been in any case, and this curfew just proves it.  By this measure a paper-boy/girl going to work at a shop in the town centre, who arrives before 6am is committing a criminal offence.  Catch and punish those who commit crimes, not restrict the whole young populace just on the off-chance that they may do something wrong. Innocent until proven guilty, not today, Guilty of being young, how the f*ck is this action legal?!!!!

****

It should not be an offence to be on the street at any time of day

Young people are not all criminals, I don't care what you say.

The law is an ass, Mr Micawber said, what would he say to this?

You should try to prevent crime, but never, ever f*ucking do this!!!

****

Written by Vernicho ( 30 March 2013 )  Copyright ( All Rights Reserved )