Chapter 21

Elena's mum booked Elena In to be assessed by the doctors so they could pull Elena out of school with a doctors note.

When they arrive, Elena is in floods of tears. Even leaving her room alone was becoming a chore on a regular basis.

"Don't make me go in there they won't understand they'll still say I have to do my GCSES! They'll say I'm well enough please just please don't make me go inside, " weapt Elena.

"Hey, it's going to be OK there doctors they want to help you feel better. Nobody wants you to feel like this permanently!"

"You don't get it. I'll never get anywhere in life if I don't have GCSES! What can I do in life if I can't even achieve stupid GCSES."

"A lot more than schools are willing to tell you. Elena, you have so much potential, I know you can't see it right now, but I promise you your future is only just beginning."

"Now come on, let's get you inside, and then I'll go across the road and buy you a slushie. Does that sound like a deal?"

"Deal," says Elena as she wipes the tears of her face. The doctor explains that Elena has severe anxiety and depression but whilst the doctor is explaining it, Elena is miles away in her mind, trying to pretend she'd never even left the house so that she'd stay calm.

The doctor perscribes Elena pills for the funny fake heart attack like feeling she'd been getting. It turned out she'd been experiencing panic attacks, and finally, she understood what that feeling was.

She was also prescribed antidepressants turns out she'd been dealing with clinical depression and severe panic attacks.

Her mother gives the doctor a slip from Elenas school. "Elena, me and your mum have been discussing that you could be autistic. Would you be OK with us getting you an assessment for next week? Your mum's been pushing at it for a while, and since you're having such a difficult time lately, I'm legally allowed to get you prioritised to an assessment and with this in place we can get you pulled out from your exams."

Elena laughs uncontrollably,  her mother and the doctor look at each other with confusion.

"I'm sorry but for ages I've been wondering if something was wrong with Me because so many things have been happening and given that the majority of my friends have autism I was beginning to wonder if I two had autism. It all felt too much of a coincidence that I was relating to them that much!"

The doctor smiles "I think we have our answer then." She smiles.

"I'll be in touch with you as soon as possible for when to be expecting your assessment, but it will definitely be before the end of her exams. I hope you start to feel better soon, Elena, and I'm glad you felt the same way about getting an assessment. I'd been worried about how you'd respond to us suggesting you get one. Anyway, I'll let you two enjoy the rest of your day now!"

Elena felt a sense of relief. Finally, things were coming together for her at last!