CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

JEREMY VOLKOV

Jeremy must have been losing his mind. He had responsibilities to take care of. He had work to get done, and sneaking around for absolutely no reason whatsoever was not his modus operandi. It wasn't his usual behavior. Let's be honest here, Jeremy had always kept himself busy, sometimes with productive activities, sometimes with destructive ones. He couldn't fathom why suddenly he had started reaching out for peace and quiet.

He had been spending more time with Brandon at the gym, coaxing him out of his shell and helping him land hits without worrying about hurting his opponent. Progress was slow, but each step was crucial. Despite Brandon's quiet demeanor most of the time, Jeremy didn't actively seek out that silence. Don't get him wrong, he loved spending time with his friends, and Brandon was growing on him. His quiet nature was a welcome contrast to the chaos he faced at home. Yet, none of them made him... calm or comfortable.

Comfortable. It was something his father taught him never to be. His father used to say it extinguished the fire inside people. And considering the wisdom of Adrian Volkov, the revered strategist of Bratva, Jeremy never questioned it. Now, however, he wasn't so sure. Well, scratch that, he didn't question his father's words, but for a few hours during the day, he preferred to just forget who he was supposed to be.

And be what? His subconscious asked. Jeremy pondered over the question, but no answer came. A sigh escaped him, and Landon shifted beside him, cracking his eyes open a little.

Like second nature, a smile graced Jeremy's lips as he reached out, cupping Landon's face. "Hi, moy Koshmar." His heart skipped a beat as he uttered the endearment, feeling a warmth spread through him at the sight of Landon's sleepy smile in response. It wasn't the smug fake smile, but one with genuine warmth, a smile reserved only for Jeremy, as he knew. Not even Brandon got to see this side of Landon. No one but Jeremy. Jeremy's heart swelled in his chest at the sight.

"Hi," Landon answered, his voice scratchy from sleep.

"I came back for you," Jeremy whispered softly.

Landon closed his eyes and sighed contentedly, moving closer to Jeremy and placing his arm around Jeremy's waist. "Good, I like it when you're close." Then, with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes, he pinched Jeremy through his shirt.

Jeremy yelped, slapping Landon's hand away. "And I like it when you're not being an asshole." A playful grin tugged at his lips as he teased Landon back.

"Shut up. I need a cuddle," Landon said, turning away from Jeremy, careful not to hurt his injured arm. Though it was no longer in a cast, just a crepe bandage wrapped around his wrist, it hadn't fully healed yet. Jeremy was certain that if it had been up to Landon, it wouldn't have progressed this far either. Jeremy couldn't do much to ensure Landon took his medications, so he had mentioned to Brandon in passing that Landon might not be taking it seriously. That was an assurance; otherwise, Jeremy might have had to force the pills down Landon's throat.

Jeremy settled down beside Landon, gently pulling him close to his chest, mindful of his arm. He brushed his nose against Landon's neck, teasing softly, "You're being extremely mushy, Landon King."

"Say that again and I will kick you out," Landon muttered, his voice slurred with sleep and medication.

"I'd like to see you try with just one working arm, darling." Landon didn't reply, but his breathing gradually slowed down. Jeremy felt a tug in his chest, his stomach twisting and relaxing simultaneously. The calm settled over him again as the room filled with the rhythmic sounds of Landon's breathing. He felt comfortable.

Once again, it was when Landon was in his arms.

Jeremy closed his eyes, pushing logic to the back of his mind. It seemed like he was doing that a lot lately.