CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

JEREMY VOLKOV

"I need to leave," Brandon said urgently, his face growing more panicked as he jumped through the ropes and ran towards the door. Jeremy chased after him.

"Brandon, wait!" Brandon paused, his wide eyes coming to meet Jeremy's gaze. "I'll drive you."

Brandon blinked a couple of times but shook his head. "No, no, it's fine."

"I insist, you're getting too stressed to drive right now," Jeremy urged, noticing Brandon practically shaking and looking ready to bolt. He hoped his own expression remained more contained than Brandon's, but the urgency of the situation gnawed at him. If he didn't go with Brandon, he feared he would lose his mind.

Brandon's face tightened with unease, mixed with the lingering panic. "It might cause more issues."

"Don't worry about it," Jeremy reassured him, his voice calm but firm.

Finally, Brandon relented, nodding. "Okay, let's take my car." That's all that needed to be said. Jeremy sprinted towards the car as soon as Brandon unlocked it with his phone and got in behind the wheel. He waited only for Brandon to settle down before speeding off, his foot pressing firmly on the accelerator.

Jeremy's mind was becoming nothing more than a hot mess, his thoughts conjuring up not-so-pretty pictures of Landon. The mystery texter hadn't reached out to him ever since he and Landon came back, and Jeremy foolishly thought that was over. He was about ninety percent sure it was the mystery texter's doing. His insides shuddered. That person was a cold-blooded killer from what Jeremy had seen. Whoever it was, they didn't think twice before killing innocent people, and given their grudge against Landon, things could be much, much worse.

His mind went back to the incident at the sex club. Before the arrival of the police, magically, the body had disappeared without a single trace. It was as if it never happened. The police started an investigation, but nothing came of it. Jeremy knew the killer was thorough, but he couldn't figure out why they would be after Landon.

"Jeremy."

What if the killer had tried to kill Landon? No, no, that couldn't be. The killer played games with their psyche, leaving messages and clues with each incident or text. Jeremy was yet to piece them together to make a bigger picture, but he was aware that the killer wouldn't have left any proof behind if they had... seriously injured Landon.

Killed.

Jeremy gripped the steering wheel, forcing his eyes to focus ahead, the world around them passing by in a blur.

"Jeremy, slow down," Brandon's voice cut through the air, pulling him out of the trance, the fog cleared from his mind.

"Sorry," he quickly apologized, slowing down the car. He hadn't realized, but he was going way above the speed limit. All he could think about was getting to Landon as soon as possible.

"Are you alright?" Brandon asked, concern evident in his voice.

Jeremy cleared his throat gently. "Yeah, I was just focused on getting you there fast."

"It's okay. I don't think it's that serious. He just got a minor concussion."

"What else did you find out?" he asked Brandon, his worry still lingering.

"Nothing as of yet, but he seems fine otherwise," Brandon replied, his words soothing Jeremy's worries. He relaxed against the seat, a long breath leaving him.

The rest of the ride was silent, and Jeremy managed to keep himself from speeding. By the time they pulled into the hospital parking lot, Brandon was already undoing his seatbelt.