CHAPTER THREE

JEREMY VOLKOV

The layout resembled that of any other club, with soft music playing instead of the louder beats typical of the clubs Jeremy was accustomed to. As he entered, the building appeared fairly ordinary. Jeremy had no idea what to expect at a sex club, although he knew Landon would be here. He wasn't certain, but he had a hunch. The mystery texter had provided him with instructions. It baffled Jeremy that he had followed through without informing anyone. Nikolai wasn't home, Kill was absent, and Gareth remained in his room, so slipping away wasn't difficult.

Jeremy made his way toward the hall where he was informed the private rooms were located. At the reception, he merely had to show his ID, as apparently, he had already been registered as a guest. He made a mental note to figure out how someone random had his information, but at the moment, it was more crucial to determine who that person was first.

Upon reaching room 26, Jeremy paused. His eyes darted around, searching for someone, but the hallway was deserted. Rooms lined both sides of the corridor, leading to another corridor. From the signs, he had a decent idea of the specific purposes of these rooms. This was a high-end sex club, after all. Not that he had expected anything less from Landon King. However, he still wasn't sure how being here would reveal the intentions of the mystery texter.

His phone rang, displaying another unknown number. He swiped his thumb across the screen, answering the call.

"Hello?"

No response.

"Hello?" Jeremy repeated. Only the sound of breathing emanated from the other end. He had a hunch about who it could be, which frustrated him. "I am where you asked me to be. Now come show me who you are."

The line went dead. Jeremy frowned and stared down at his screen. What the fuck?

That's when a shot rang out, and chaos ensued.

Jeremy's head snapped up, his eyes widening. Without further thought, he threw himself against the locked door of room 26. Once. Twice. Thrice.

The lock broke, and Jeremy stumbled inside, the door swinging back and slamming against the wall. The scene in front of him made him freeze.

Landon King stood before the large glass window, his pants pulled down to his ankles. At his feet lay a woman, blood seeping from a hole in her forehead.

Did Landon kill her?

Then Jeremy noticed the bullet hole in the glass wall.

Jeremy's feet moved unprompted towards his rival. "King!" he barked. Landon didn't move. Jeremy reached Landon, grabbed him by the elbow, and spun him around. Landon's vacant eyes met Jeremy's. They were bottomless, unfeeling, unlike the eyes that had just witnessed a murder.

Outside the door, commotion ensued. People screamed and ran out of the club. Jeremy knew this was the best time to leave. He needed to get Landon out of there. He couldn't quite figure out why. Fear, a voice in his head prompted. Fear of what?

He shook off the thought and focused on getting Landon out. "We need to leave. Pull up your pants before I drag you out in this state," Jeremy snapped. Part of him still expected Landon to fight. He was Landon King, after all. But to Jeremy's surprise, Landon pulled up his pants without resistance, his eyes fixed on Jeremy. Despite the gravity of the situation, Jeremy felt his stomach churn, but it wasn't entirely unpleasant.

Jeremy's jaw ticked as he grabbed Landon by the elbow and yanked him towards the door. "Move. Fast."

He dragged Landon through the hallways, pushing through the crowds as best he could. He didn't release his grip on Landon until they were out of the club. His hold was tight, and Landon, unlike his usual self, seemed to let Jeremy lead him out.