CHAPTER THIRTEEN

LANDON KING

He jumped into the ring, the crowd roaring up in a crescendo of excitement. Landon tilted his head towards the crowd, his charming smile radiating perfection. The cheers from his fangirls grew even louder. He winked in their general direction, then turned his focus ahead.

Just then, the brute Nikolai stepped through the ropes, his presence commanding attention. His glare bore into Landon's head, as though he harbored a deep-seated animosity ready to erupt. Perhaps beneath the surface, that sentiment wasn't far from the truth. However, Landon wouldn't be a King if he allowed a mere insect like Nikolai to crush him.

He grinned at Nikolai, whose glare only intensified in response to his taunt. As they took their positions in the ring, Landon couldn't resist needling further, "Come on, Nikolai, show us those pearly whites. Your face is more tolerable that way."

Nikolai ground his teeth audibly, his voice laced with venom, "I'll be grinning wide after I've bloody well rearranged your fucking face, motherfucker."

Before the tension could escalate further, the referee announced the start of the match. Without hesitation, Nikolai lunged at Landon with ferocity. Landon knew his own limitations well; against the formidable opponent that was Nikolai, winning wasn't an option. But for him, these fights weren't solely about victory; they were about defiance, about making a statement. And, of course, they served the purpose of distracting the heathens.

The first punch landed squarely on the side of Landon's face, causing him to stagger backward. Nikolai's punches were undoubtedly aimed to inflict serious harm. Landon wiped the blood from the corner of his lips, his expression hardening as he turned to face Nikolai, who was already preparing for another strike.

Nikolai's fist connected with Landon's ribs in a brutal blow, causing him to momentarily double over in pain. With a burst of adrenaline, Landon retaliated swiftly, landing a powerful blow on Nikolai's nose. Blood sprayed across Nikolai's face, eliciting a grim satisfaction from Landon. With a low grunt, Nikolai momentarily closed his eyes, providing Landon with a fleeting opportunity. Seizing the moment, Landon launched himself at Nikolai, raining down punches with all his might. Some were deflected, but others found their mark, driving home Landon's relentless assault.

Nikolai soon regained his composure, launching a relentless barrage of punches, each strike hitting with the force of a sledgehammer. Landon found himself driven backward, forced into a defensive position until his back pressed against the unforgiving ropes. With limited room to maneuver, it became increasingly challenging for Landon to deflect the onslaught. He raised his arms defensively, attempting to shield his face from the punishing blows. Most of the punches landed on the back of Landon's lower arms, sending jolts of pain reverberating through his body.

Nikolai was sneaky.

In a calculated move, Nikolai's next punch found its mark squarely on Landon's stomach, driving the air from his lungs. Landon grunted involuntarily, doubling over in pain. Sensing the danger, the referee intervened, pulling Nikolai away from Landon. Reluctantly, the brute complied, releasing Landon from his relentless assault. Jeremy, Nikolai's cornerman, leaned in close, quietly murmuring something as he wiped the blood from Nikolai's face. Nikolai listened intently, nodding in acknowledgment. Then, with a subtle gesture, Jeremy caught the back of Nikolai's neck and squeezed.

Landon's jaw clenched tighter as he fixed his glare on the point where Jeremy's hand rested on Nikolai's neck. They were too close for Landon's liking. It irked him, stirring a discomfort that gnawed at his insides.

A comforting touch on his shoulder interrupted his thoughts. Landon turned his head to see Remi standing by the ring. A smirk tugged at the corner of Landon's lips as Remi handed him a bottle of water. Landon accepted it, taking a long swig before pouring the rest over his head, the cool liquid providing a momentary respite from the heat of the match.