Chapter 10: Sparks

Nikki POV:

   "We need to talk." He said while pulling me inside. Jack G was there too. They were both giving me strange looks. "I'm guessing it's not about studying..." I say. Jack G shook his head. I sat next to him and Jack J sat next to me. "Jack and I have been thinking....and we find it weird that you're doing this..." He started. I stayed silent. "I mean, why would you give up your life? You had everything." He said. I sighed. "I was never happy with all that. I don't want to be associated with people like that..." I said. He furrowed his eyebrows. "That makes no sense! A girl as pret- popular as you never hangs out with us!" He said. I smiled. Gilinsky just stared at Jack; his jaw dropped. (A/n Gilinsky is obviously Jack Gilinsky and Jack is Jack Johnson). Jack's face turned bright red. He avoided making eye contact with me. I however, stared at him. "Go on..." I say sarcastically. "I'm just trying to say, that none of this makes sense to me. Are you hanging out with us because you want to or was all this some elaborate bet?" He said sadly. What? Where's this coming from? This boy makes me wanna cry sometimes. "Why would I purposely do all this because of a dare? Im not that shallow..." I said. He smiled. Silence fell upon the room until Gilinsky spoke up. "Ok, see that wasn't too hard." Gilinsky said as he left and walked out to his car. I just looked at Jack with a confused expression. Once the door closed I spoke. "What was all that about?" I asked. "I'm sorry. He made me ask you. We just..." I cut him off. "You don't believe me..." I said. "Well...someone like you doesn't come around too much..." He said. Pain in my chest exploded and I felt my hand involuntarily move over his; squeezing and holding onto it. "Jack, stop. Trust me..." I said. His eyes met mine, until he glanced down at our hands. I pulled away. He smiled, causing me to blush again. "So Gilinsky made you ask?" I asked folding my hands on my lap. He nodded. "He likes you, but doesn't really trust you..." He said. I nodded. "So did he tell you to say I'm pretty?" I asked slyly. Jack's face turned bright red again. I smiled. "No...that was all me..." He said. I rolled my eyes jokingly. "So you wanna get started?" I asked. He nodded and we went upstairs to his room.

Jack J POV:

   I felt terrible about asking Nikki that. The only reason I gave in to Jack was because I think I like her and I wanted to know. I was in love with the last girl I dated. We were together for a while but I eventually found out she was dared to date me. I don't wanna fall for anyone else because I'm afraid of that happening again. I know it sounds stupid... But Nikki can get anyone she wants, so I just found it strange that she chose Jack and I over her friends.
I can't help it though. She just makes me happy. I love her smile and how her hand fits with mine and- Ugh. What's wrong with me? I am falling for her.

Nikki POV:

-Skipped a few hours-

   We've been working on this for a while. We had pretty much nothing else to do. And we had about two weeks left. What were we supposed to do for two weeks? Hmmm... Ugh what's wrong with me? Jack doesn't like me. Thinking I'm pretty is different from actually liking me. I was distracted from my thoughts when Jack spoke. "Hey Nikki?" He said. I looked at him. He seemed worried. "Yeah. What's up?" I asked. He sighed. "I wanna tell you something, but please don't tell anyone about this..." He trailed off. I moved a little closer to him. "I promise." I said. "So uh...I normally don't like talking about this...but I kinda feel like I can trust you..." He sputtered. I nodded. He seemed to be getting sadder by the second. "The main reason I asked you that, was because I used to be in love with someone who was only dared to date me." He blurted out. He has a thing for making me sad. I felt so bad for him. I hugged him and he hugged back lightly. His grip tightened and he nuzzled his head in my neck a little after a few seconds. "I'm so sorry...how long ago was that?" I mumbled. He hesitated before he spoke. "Less than a year..." He mumbled back. He pulled away. I gave him a weak smile. He slightly smiled back. "Look I get why you asked me that, but I'd never go out with you or anyone for that matter because of a bet or a dare." I said. He smiled. I chuckled. "That makes two of us." I almost whispered while looking down at the floor. He agave me a look of confusion. "We both have bad experiences with love..." I said sadly. He smiled again. "Join the club." He said quietly, earning a small laugh from me.
   We were silent for a while. I can't believe someone would do that to him. He doesn't deserve that. He's too sweet and kind and sensitive and- Oh. My. God.... I'm in love with him. I never think like this about guys. That explains it. But I'm afraid of love. I don't wanna be hurt again. And neither does he. Another thing we have in common... Every time I try to talk myself out of it, I just can't, there's too many good things about him. He's just so- "Nikki?" I heard him ask. I snapped back to reality. He'll never love me. "Uh...yeah.." I say. "You ok? You have this weird look on your face..." He said. It was probably a love-struck look. "Umm...yeah...I'm fine..." I said. I could feel myself blushing. Like always when I blush, I look at the ground and hope the person doesn't notice. He grabbed my hand in his, making me look up at him in curiosity. "Don't...you're beautiful." He said firmly. I felt my face grow hotter. He stared in my eyes. He didn't blush once. I realized he was holding my hand. He intertwined his fingers with mine. I stared back at him.