Chapter 4: Who Cares?

Nikki POV:

   My alarm blared through my ears. I groaned as I sat up. It was Tuesday, which meant I had cheer practice after school. I have practice Tuesday and Thursday after school. I wanted to quit so badly, but I couldn't do that... Ashley and Erin were cheerleaders too. They were terrible at it just like everyone else on the team. Which is why I'm the captain. Apparently I'm good, but if I had to play a sport it'd most likely be soccer. But who cares what I actually want to do? If I'm popular then I have to keep a "perfect" image. It made me nauseous to think about.
   I got dressed and did my makeup. I put on a high waisted black skater skirt, black crop top, and all black Vans. The skirt was high enough that my stomach didn't show. My style actually never changed. I've always dressed like this even when I wasn't popular. But I don't wanna dress like a desperate person. So I try to stay classy... My lipstick was bright red and I did smokey eye. I straightened my hair. I changed my phone case to a red and pink striped Kate Spade case. I like the cases to coordinate with my outfits... It's not weird...
   I ate breakfast and grabbed my bag. I walked out to my car. When I got in I heard my phone buzz. It was a text from Ashley. I ignored it. My mistake. The entire time I was driving to school it kept buzzing and ringing. When I parked I checked it. It was still Ashley. I didn't read them and walked in school. And coincidently, Ashley was at the front doors waiting. "Why didn't you answer me?!" She asked anxiously. "I was driving!!" I reply. She rolled her eyes. "You can text and drive." She said; acting like I was the idiot. "Are you crazy?!" I asked in disbelief. She shook her head. "Whatever... But I need to ask you something." She said while pulling my arm and 'dragging' me to the popular area. "What?" I asked. She finally stopped. No one was here yet. "What the hell did you do?!" She raised her voice. "What?!" I asked. "You gave Jack your number!!" She shouted. I stared at her for a second. "Ok, one how did you know that. And two why do you care?" I asked. "Are you kidding? Everyone at school knows! And I care because he's a nobody. We can't be around those people..." She said. "He's not a nobody. And we're working on a project. So I have to talk to him about it." I reply. "He's supposed to do the work though!" She shouted. I tried not to start yelling. "I do the work too! We're partners! He does part of it and I do part of it." I said. She rolled her eyes. "You act like you enjoy being around him." She says. "It's better than being with you", I almost said. "It's none of your business. So why does it matter to you?" I say. On cue, the bell rang, silencing Ashley's rant. "But-" she started to whine but I left. "I'll see you at practice." I say, leaving her there. I walked to first period. I saw Drake. He walked over to me. "I heard you gave that nerd your number." He said. "Yeah so what?" I said. He just looked at me. "Whatever.." He mumbled. I rolled my eyes and redirected my attention back to Mr. Matthews. He put on a documentary. Which was good because I wasn't in the mood for a lecture. Did Jack tell everyone about that or are they just creeps? Even if Jack did tell why did these people care? Just because I'm popular doesn't mean I can't text him. I'll never understand.

-At lunch-

   I sat in between Erin and Mitchell. Anthony, Ashley, and Drake were across from us. All five of them were just talking. By talking I mean gossiping. I stayed silent. Ashley noticed. "Are you ok Nik?" She asked. I hated when she acted like she cared. "Yeah. I'm-" I was cut of by Anthony. "In love with Jack." He said. "No I'm not." I snapped. "OOOO feisty! She does like him..." Mitchell said. I slapped him and he started laughing. "I do not. He's not my type." I say. Ashley smiled. "Good. You shouldn't date worthless people." She said. I wanted to punch her so bad. Instead I just smiled and laughed. "Oh don't worry, I won't!" I said, Anthony being the only thing on my mind as I spoke.

-After school at practice-

   I went to the girls locker room and changed. I threw on athletic shorts, a tee shirt, and Nikes. I walked out to the football field where the rest of the team was. It was big enough for two things to be happening at once. So on one side the football team was practicing and on the other was where the cheerleaders were. I saw Ashley and Erin goofing off with the others. And I saw the football team just staring at the cheerleaders. Classic.
   When Anthony saw me he waved. I just smiled. He's so clueless. He thinks I like him. I walked over to the cheerleaders and we started practicing.

-After practice-

   I changed back into my clothes and redid my makeup. I finally got to leave school. As I waked to my car I got a text from Jack.

J: I'm sorry about everyone finding out you have my number. I only told other Jack. I guess one of your friends heard. I get it if you wanna delete it. I know I can ruin your reputation.

   That almost made may wanna cry. I'm not deleting it. I replied with:

N: I'm not deleting it. It's ok, you didn't ruin anything.

   I could tell he read it, but he didn't respond.

Jack J POV:

   I was shocked when she said she wasn't mad.

   I would've thought she'd delete it and maybe have Anthony come after me or something. I mean, he bullies me often. So no surprise if he does. I left school about an hour ago. Should I ask her if she wants to study again tonight? Eh...we just studied last night. And we have a month. I'll ask tomorrow. But I didn't have to. She texted me again.

N: I have cheer practice Tuesday and Thursday so do u wanna have a few designated days to work on it?

J: Ok. Mon and Wed?

N: Yeah ok

J: k

   Today is just full of surprises.