Chapter 13

A few days later, I let myself into the apartment after a long day of classes before stopping to pick up dinner from Mellow Mushroom pizzeria for Lauren and I

Maybe Beckham as well if he's at our apartment like he has since Saturday night, ever since Lauren started she didn't want Jamie at our place and hasn't taken any chances of him showing up with her own boyfriend there.

Safe to say things have been tense between Lauren and I since I left Saturday and things with Beckham are awkward because of the tension with my best friend and whatever she's told him about Jamie and I. She was pissed beyond hell when she found my bruise when I had rolled up my sleeves while in my bedroom and then came out to get water.

That had turned into an hour long argument and at the end of it, Beckham had been summoned, who also wasn't thrilled to find out about my bruise.

Looking up with my hands balancing a medium pizza, salad, cheese bread and pretzel bites along with my backpack and water bottle, I find Lauren sitting on our couch with her guitar and notepad and she looks frustrated.

Her eyes meet mine as I set everything down on the counter after kicking the door shut with the three inch heel of my sand knee-high boots.

"Hit a snag?" I ask her. I'm bundled up in my cream colored trench coat I layered on top of my pastel jade relaxed ribbed sweater and light blue washed skinny jeans.

"Yeah cause my best friend and her boyfriend are fighting and it's flooding into our friendship." She hasn't seemed to change from her own day of classes since she's still dressed in her coral sweater with a v-neckline, dropped shoulders, and slightly exaggerated sleeves she's paired with her blue skinny jeans to offset the oversized sleeves.

"Lo," I sigh.

"I just don't understand, Melanie," she begins as she sets her guitar aside. "We tell each other everything and now things are weird with you and you won't let me in. I just want to be there and help you."

"There's nothing you can do."

"I don't believe that for a second and I don't think you really do either."

"I brought home dinner. Can we at least eat before we get into this?"

"Will you actually tell me what happened?"

"I might, if you stop being so pushy."

Liar, no you won't.

"Just, tell me what happened the other morning with you and Jamie."

"I don't want to do this Lauren."

"You guys have been fighting a lot lately. Not to mention the shit he pulled on your birthday."

"Jesus," I groan. "He's not perfect Lauren."

"Ain't that the fuckin' truth." She folds her arms across her chest with a little huff.