Chapter 6

My project with Melanie in our Psychology class is off to a great start

My project with Melanie in our Psychology class is off to a great start. I can't seem to do anything but make a complete asshat out of myself whenever I'm around her and I know that pisses her off, she's stormed off one too many times for me not to notice.

There's just something about her that makes me act that way. I'm not sure if it's her, or knowing that she's dating Jamie Sanders and I can only imagine how he treats her from the things I'ev heard about him and his family, so I don't understand how she can be around him.

Maybe that's what part of her goals are about deep down, trying to be a better person for herself when she's dating the likes of Jamie.

Not that I blame her, but like, why wouldn't you just leave if you were that unhappy with someone who is supposed to love you?

I've been in a handful of relationships and I'd only consider three of them to be serious, the last one ending over this past summer.

My ex and I had been together for a little more than a year after meeting through mutual friends here. She wanted me to make a more serious commitment to her, one which basically said she wanted a certain ring from me sooner than later, even though we were only going into our junior year and I wasn't ready for that.

I loved her, but I wasn't ready to settle down, not that I am now, let alone announce to our family and friends we were going to make plans to get married sooner than later after graduation. After breaking up halfway through the break, I moped around at my family's home a bit at home, but then when registering for classes, I made a plan for how the next two years were going to play out.

One that included no relationships.

I've only hooked up a couple times since being back at school, so my cock and my hand were more than well acquainted at the moment.

"Spence! You alive in there?!" the voice of Micah calls from the other side of my office door.

"What do you want?"

"Damn. What's got you all worked up?"

"Nothing, Micah. What's up?"

My best friend lets himself into the office without knocking. "You've been grumpy all morning."

I turn around to find him leaning against the door frame. "I haven't been able to sleep lately, let alone draw anything this week."

"Aren't you taking graphic classes?" he asks. His six-foot-frame with short curly black hair and onyx eyes are the only subtle parts of my best friend's fashion choice of the day of bright colors no one would normally wear, let alone in the middle of winter.

I narrow my eyes at him for him pointing out the obvious. "Don't you kinda see the problem then?"

"Is the class hard?" he asks, crossing the room to plop down in my light gray armchair that has a warm wood base and sleek metal legs.