Chapter 12

The next morning I wake up groggy and exhausted, the stress of the past week and midterms getting closer has put a toll on my body

The next morning I wake up groggy and exhausted, the stress of the past week and midterms getting closer has put a toll on my body. The fight and sex with Jamie yesterday feels like the tip of the iceberg and my body is begging for a break in the rollercoaster of emotions I've been putting it through.

Jamie ended up staying last night after we were done and he's still passed out beside me, his snores filling the quiet of my bedroom.

I slip out of bed, his t-shirt draping my body where it reaches the middle of my thighs. My feet pad across my room and I shut myself in my bathroom, needing to pee and brush my teeth to ease how gross I feel. Flicking on the light when I reach the toilet, I notice the nasty bruise on my wrist. "Fuck," I groan. The blood is still pooled beneath the surface, the mark overly sensitive and I still flinch as my own hand touches it.

This is going to be a bitch to hide from Lauren.

I can wear long sleeves until it's gone, but doing dishes and making food here with her will become a challenge, let alone the times when we just hang out.

I finish in the bathroom and head back into my bedroom, slightly heated over the bruise and how it happened, so I check my phone, noticing it's still early, but later than I thought considering how the previous day went.

Knowing I need to apologize and check in with Spencer, I decided to test the water by sending him a text message.

Melanie [02/18/2023 8:33AM]: Hey. You awake?

Spencer [02/18/2023 8:39AM]: Yeah. What's up?

Melanie [02/18/2023 8:41AM]: I'm sorry about yesterday. I didn't know Jamie was gonna go off like that.

Spencer [02/18/2023 8:42AM]: It's whatever. As long as you're okay.

Ha, if you think a nasty bruise and tension with Jamie is fine, then sure.

Melanie [02/18/2023 8:45AM]: I'm okay. Also wanted to know if you had time to get together today to keep working? Or maybe add some extra time tomorrow?

Spencer [02/18/2023 8:47AM]: Is it cool if we do today and skip tomorrow?

Melanie [02/18/2023 8:50AM]: Sure. Is a study room at Newman okay?

Hopefully he won't read between the lines of why I chose Newman.

Spencer [02/18/2023 8:52AM]: That's fine. A change of scenery might do us some good. You know, trying new things, branching out and all that shit.

Melanie [02/18/2023 8:54AM]: Exactly lol. I can reserve a room for us. What about 10:30?

Spencer [02/18/2023 8:55AM]: That works. Tell me which one and I'll reserve it for right after so we have more time.

Melanie [02/18/2023 8:56AM]: Sounds good.

Pulling up the website, I find a room available right away for a few hours and send it to him so he can book it right after so we have four hours in the same room.