Chapter 14

"You okay, Spence? You seem off?" Elias asks as he sits down beside me on our forest green modern sectional sofa that has a chaise in our living room

"You okay, Spence? You seem off?" Elias asks as he sits down beside me on our forest green modern sectional sofa that has a chaise in our living room. He's about five-foot-eight with swoopy brown hair he parts down the middle and light green eyes.

The sofa is along my bedroom wall and there is a walnut rectangular modern mid-century coffee table with a slatted bottom shelf in front of the main part of the sofa. On the wall shared with his bedroom ,a large flatscreen is hanging above the modern walnut console table with y-shaped mid-century legs that hides our video game consoles.

"Yeah," I sigh. I'm stretched out on the couch with my sock covered feet propped on the coffee table.

"Mid-terms kickin' your ass or something?"

"No, they haven't been too bad. Today is just a weird day."

"You have that class with Sanders' girl, yeah?"

"Melanie, and she's not his girl. He doesn't own her," I snap at Elias.

I haven't told my best friends much more about Melanie than initially bringing her and Jamie up so they could keep an eye on Jamie for me, but they know how I feel about her.

"Okay, back off, ass. They're together, so yeah, she kinda is his girl."

I fold my arms over my chest with a huff.

"Don't be that way. You know I like that this girl is leaving her mark on you."

"You just want another girl to be in our lives for Maddie to be around when she's here," I say, mentioning his girlfriend of almost a year, Madison Clark.

"Not going to lie and say the thought hasn't crossed my mind," he chuckles. "So, what's the deal with this girl lately?"

"She's good, but she could be better-"

"If she was away from the sleazeball boyfriend?"

"Exactly. He's gotten worse since the semester started."

"How do you know?"

"I'm trying to believe her. She said they've been fine, but since the two of us got paired together, things have gone downhill."

"How?"

"They've been fighting more from what I can tell and he's hurting her. He left a bruise on her wrist almost two weeks ago. Not to mention, I watched him grab the back of her head and yank on her right before classes started up again."

"So, maybe this isn't all about you?"

"It's not, I know that. But, I also know I'm not helping. Jamie knows I see through whatever bullshit he tries to sell her and that my dad can really fuck with his dad's business at the end of the day."

"How does she seem to feel about all of this?"

"I'm not sure. She wants to meet up for our project meetings but she's closed off and defensive about her relationship with him."