9. Missed Chance

December 17th, 2022; Iowa City, Iowa

Chapter 9.

Narrative + iMessage

Olivia's Pov;

Practice has been over for almost an hour yet Kate is still here. She doesn't seem to notice I'm still here, editing the photos for the website. She's just so concentrated on shooting the ball, in which by the way she makes nearly all of them.

Finished with editing the photos, I head down the bleachers. Creeping behind Kate in order to give her a little scare. It was only us two in the gym since the girls had left to rest and so did Drew.

Swiftly I stand behind her, grabbing her back as she jumps slightly, turning to look at me. I just give her a big smile as she smiles back at me.

"So, what are you still doing here?" I ask, curiosity hanging in my voice. "I just felt like staying and shooting around, get some things out my head y'know?" She shoots the ball, making it into the hoop with a swish.

"Ah, I understand. Wanna talk about it?" I ask but she just shrugs her shoulder.

"I don't know, it's nothing too important." We've only known each other for almost a month, but we've gotten pretty close and I know when she's lying.

"Nothing too important? Kate, you're literally an hour past practice still shooting and I know you only do that when something is on your mind so," She just looks back at me with a smile, turning her back to me shooting the ball once again.

"I just, I don't know. I'm having mixed feelings about this girl, y'know. Like we've only met for a short period of time but I feel like I've known her forever. I mean she's beautiful, very funny and also very kind but I have no idea if she likes me back or just sees me as a friend." Hearing this is makes my heart swell with happiness for Kate but also another feeling, I don't know how to describe it.

"Well, if you really like this girl then you should make a move, but first figure out if there's a chance she likes you. Sometimes you never know, but life surprises you. It's better to risk it than to regret it." Considering I've been in lots of bad relationships, I try and give her the best advice I could give.

"I'm not sure if I wanna do that just yet, I don't think I'm ready for that. Anyways, would you like to shoot? It'll make me feel better knowing I'm better." She jokes around as I just shove her shoulder slightly.

"Um rude. But sure, then you'll know I'm much better." She passes me the ball, I walk up to the free throw line and shoot it, making it in as I look at her with a big smile.

"Told you, I'm way too good at anything." I say cockily.

"Yea but your form sucks ass." She laughs as she walks up to me, grabbing the ball. Making me smile slightly despite her teasing.

"I'll show you," Kate says as she gets near me, "then you'll be a superstar player." Just then she puts her foot between my feet and spreads them so they're at least shoulder width apart.

"Better than you?" I turn my face, looking at her. Our faces not that far apart. "Hell no." She said in a soft voice, feeling her minty-scented breath against my face. That's how close we are.

She places her hands on my hips, fixing the position of them. Grabbing my elbow to help me position them to get better form.

"Just bend your knees a bit and shoot." She says, her voice low and next to my ear as she backs away to let me shoot.

A weird feeling in my stomach forming but I just push it down. I shoot the ball as it goes in with a 'swish' sound. Letting out a cheerful laugh I turn to hug her