XIV

The three young hunters were back on the road a couple days after the ghost attack. Alex had begun to be suspicious of Sam; she noticed that he snuck out in the middle of the night when Dean was asleep, and he thought she was asleep as well. But, as a hunter, she was a light sleeper. One night, she was woken up by Dean shouting in the middle of the night. She sat up next to the Winchester, gently shaking his shoulders.

"Dean. Dean, wake up." The man startled awake, sitting up and looking at the brunette next to him. "You okay?" She asked, gaining a nod in return.

"Hello, Dean." Alex yelped in surprise and turned to the angel sitting on the edge of the other bed, "What were you dreaming about?"

"What, do you get your freak on by watching other people sleep?" The Winchester questioned, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, "What do you want?"

"Listen to me. You have to stop it." Castiel replied.

"Stop what?" Castiel placed two fingers on Dean's forehead, and he disappeared right in front of Alex, making her eyes widen in surprise.

"Where did you send him?" She asked the blue-eyed angel.

"I sent him where he is needed." he replied elusively.

"Yeah, that's helpful." Alex said sarcastically.

"Yes... I think what I said is helpful." he said with a tilt of his head in confusion. Alex stared at him for a moment.

"You don't interact with humans very much, do you?" she questioned with a teasing smile.

"No. I don't."

"I can tell."

"I'm surprised you're not more worried about Dean. You seem to really care for him."

"Oh, I'm worried about him, and I know that he's not telling me something, but I know that he can handle himself."

"Yes, he can." Alex saw something in his eyes.

"He remembers hell, doesn't he?" The angel remained quiet, avoiding her gaze, "That's what I thought."

"I'm sure there's a reason he hasn't told you."

"Dean can be pretty closed off with his feelings." She sighed, looking down at her hands in her lap. She could feel his gaze on her.

"You wish he wasn't." he stated as she nodded, "You love him."

"Yeah..." she chuckled lightly, "I told him that I have feelings for him, but he hasn't said anything."

"Do you wish he reciprocated your feelings?"

"A little, but I also don't want to lose him as my best friend. I lost him once, and I can't lose him again." She looked up to find no one in the room with her. She rolled her eyes and threw her hands up in exasperation. She flopped back onto the pillows and stared up at the ceiling, lost in thought. She wondered where Sam was and what he was doing. She also wondered where Castiel sent Dean. She sat back up when she heard the flutter of wings, seeing Castiel sitting on the bed again.

"I apologize. I was checking on Dean."

"Is he alright?"

"Yes, he's worried about you, though."

"He is?"

"I told him you were alright."

"What exactly is he doing?"

"He's learning the truth." she looked at him confused.

"The truth about what?"

"The truth about his parents."