II

A/N: I forgot to put the faceclaim for Alex in the first chapter. Grace Phipps as Alex

 Grace Phipps as Alex

*~*~*

Over the next few days, Alex spent her free time working on the Impala. The frame had taken a while, but she had gotten it back to its original shape. She had also removed what was left of the windows and the engine. She had it laid out on a workbench she had set up near the car, assessing the damage, and figured it could be rebuilt with some time. It was late in the afternoon, when Alex heard the rumble of a truck while she was underneath the car. She figured it was the boys since she had gotten off the phone with Sam not too long ago. Sam had updated her on everything that happened since he left a few days ago. Dean was healthy… but John was dead. She felt for the boys; she knew what it was like to suddenly be an orphan. Alex rolled out from beneath the car when she heard footsteps approaching. She wiped the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand, most likely smearing grease, but she didn’t care.

“Hey, boys.” She greeted Dean and Sam with a smile as she stood up from the ground.

“Hey, Alex.” Sam greeted in return. Alex watched as Dean looked at the car, then the parts laying on the ground and the engine on the workbench.

“How’s it going?” Sam asked when Dean didn’t say anything.

“Pretty good. Took me about a day and a half to get the frame back in shape, but she’s getting there. And I think I can rebuild the engine til she’s purrin’ like new.” Alex smiled wide; she loved working on cars. It was one of her fondest childhood memories.

“Damn, I never should’ve doubted you, Alex.” Sam said with a smile.

“Damn straight, Winchester.” She chuckled, then turned to the workbench next to her, picking up a socket wrench and began working on the engine. “Are you boys doing okay?” She questioned, glancing over her shoulder to look at them.

“Yeah.”

“Fine.” The two men said in unison.

“I’m sorry about your dad. I know what that’s like.” Memories of her own father flashed in her mind, but she pushed them back, knowing she would get emotional.

“Thanks, uh, I'm gonna head in the house.” she heard Sam say, then heard his footsteps fade away. She went back to focusing on taking the engine apart piece by piece. After a few moments of silence, she heard Dean walk up next to her. 

“I'm impressed that you got this far in just a couple of days.” Dean commented, leaning on the workbench next to her. She hummed as she glanced at him, the clicking of the socket wrench filling the silence. 

“I mean, I've just been taking the ruined parts off, but thanks. She's pretty messed up, and it'll take a while to get her back to her former glory, but if we work together, I think it'll cut the time in half.” She said, smiling at the man. He returned her smile with his own.