Chapter 15

"The New Ozai Society?" I echoed, "What's that?"
                        "A group of citizens who still consider my dad their Fire Lord," Zuko paced his war room (which Aang suggested we rename "The Fun Room"), "They think I stole the throne illegitimately and they want Ozai released and put back in power."
                         "Okay? And who gives a fuck? No matter what anyone says, you are the Fire Lord,"
                         "That's the thing—it's not just talk. There's been riots, burning effigies. Now they're threatening to try to take the palace,"
                         "Wait, like they'll come here?" I gulped. I couldn't imagine someone barging into our home, especially now that home was a giant fortified palace, "Then let's go to Ember Island until this blows over."
                        "It won't just blow over. If we leave, it'll just keep going. I have to stand,"
                        "We'll stand with you," Aang said from where he sat on the table, "You won't be alone."
                         "Maybe you should just tell them about your little promise," Katara said, slightly bitter.
                         "What promise?" I asked.
                         "That won't do any good. They don't like Aang either," Zuko continued.
                         "What promise?"
                         "Well, maybe it'll make them trust Aang more at least, and then—"
                         "GUYS, what damn promise?!" I snapped, getting to my feet.
                         Zuko's eyes drifted nervously from Katara to Aang and finally to me, "I made Aang promise to kill me if I...turn corrupt."
                         I scoffed, "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You're not going to go dark side, Zuko."
                         "It's just a precaution,"
                         "Aang," I turned to my friend, "Say you won't do that. Promise me."
                         "I can't. You know I never go back on my word. I'm sorry,"
                         "We don't like it either, Y/N," Katara said, with genuine sadness in her voice.
                         "I don't just not like it! I won't stand for it! Aang, if you kill Zuko, I'll kill you!"
                         I stormed out, choosing to ignore the absurdity of me threatening to kill the Avatar. What was Zuko thinking!? After all he's done to change. After dedicating ourselves to each other. He would tap out that easy? He wouldn't trust me to pull him back?
                        I was so distraught when I reached our new room, I didn't sense the person standing behind the door until I was knocked unconscious.

No ones POV:
                       Zuko whirled around the corner, crashing headlong into Toph.
                       "Geez, and I'm supposed to be the blind one," she cried, righting herself.
                       "Have you seen her?" Zuko demanded.
                       "What did I just say?" Toph waved in hand in front of her face.
                       "Toph, this is so not the time!"
                       "Sorry, sorry, you're right. No, I didn't find her. But this is a big palace. She's probably just exploring or something,"
                       Zuko surged down the hall with Toph on his heels, "No, no, something's wrong I know it."
                       They reached the War Room to find the others. To Zukos dismay, they all shook their heads. He dropped into the closest chair. Katara put a hand in his shoulder,
                       "We'll find her, Zuko."
                       "She's obviously not on the palace grounds. We should search the city next," said Suki, followed by Toph,
                        "And if she's not in the city?"
                        "Then the whole Fire Nation. I'll search the entire earth. Y/N couldn't have just vanished!" Zuko cried.
                        "I bet it's those New Ozai Society bastards," Sokka snapped.
                        Katara turned to her brother, "Then why not leave a note?"
                        "They're counting on me panicking. And running around like a picken with its head cut off,"
                        Aang turned to Zuko, "Well, that's not going to happen. We're going to stick together and figure this out as a team."
                       "Aang and I will stay here and keep control of things from the palace," Suki said, "You four start searching the city and we'll go from there."

           "This is my fault," Zuko mused as they turned onto another street.
           "How d'you figure?" Toph asked.
           "I should've shut down the New Ozai Society right when I heard of it,"
          "You would've been proving them right, that you're a dictator. You said you wanted to be better than your dad," Toph made a fist and put it in the other hand, "Now we have a reason to kick some serious New Ozai Ass."
          "I guess so..."
          "Y/N will be fine. She's tough. And she'll swoon when you come rescue her in a blaze of Fire Lord glory. Trust me, she may be your true love or whatever, but she's my best friend,"
          "I hope you're right," Zuko shook his head, "What about you, Toph? I don't know a thing about your love life. Any news?"
         "Er, your girlfriend has been kidnapped and you want to gossip with me?"
         "Humor me. Please,"
         Suddenly understanding, Toph confessed, "There is this girl...She works at the palace and we've talked...just a few times, and...I-I don't know."
         "Oh, yeeaahh?"
         "Shut up,"
         "Can I ask something?"
         "Sure,"
         "How do you...you know...feel attraction towards someone? Since...you know..."
         "I'll ignore the fact that it sounds like you're insinuating you're only attracted to my best friend because of her physical appearance..."
         "Er..."
         "I don't know. I guess...I like her smell, the sound of her voice...and her laugh...her skin is really soft,"
         Zuko grinned, "That's great, Toph. I'm happy for you, but you should tell her how you feel."
         She shrugged, "Ah, I don't know. Feelings ain't really my thing."
         "Just be yourself—it sounds lame, I know, but if she likes you back, she'll get it. You're a real catch, Toph,"
         "Thanks, Zuko,"
         Just then, Katara and Sokka came racing up to them. "We found out where the NOS are keeping Y/N," Sokka panted.
         "No's?" Zuko repeated.
                 "New Ozai Society? NOS? Come on, people!"
         Katara continued, "We questioned one of their members. They're in a cave not far from the city."
         "How do you know they were telling the truth?" Zuko asked.
         Katara fixed him with a dark and mischievous look, "Oh, believe me, he wasn't lying."
         "But he'll thaw eventually and he might go back to warn them, so we have no time to lose," Sokka urged, "Let's go kick some New Ozai Ass!"
         "Sorry, Sokka, I've already used that,"
         "Dammit, Toph!"